+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roscoe Fish-In ... Well?

Default Roscoe Fish-In ... Well?

Just looking for some feedback. Please post responses or email me.

Fully realizing Mother Nature is finicky:
    - Is that week too busy (with fishermen) or do you think the following week would be better?

- Was the evening Cook-Out a good idea or would 1:00pm Picnic Lunch be better?

- Would some activity (casting, tying demos) following a Picnic Lunch be easier to attend and desired than at another time?

- Is tying at night too much after a day of fishing?

- Is the tying room at the Reynold's House too small to accomodate the group?

- Would you have liked a specific trip scheduled?

- Was interaction among the attendees good/bad/indifferent?

- Do you think a beginner would benefit from attending the Fish-In or would he/she feel intimidated?

- How were the accomodations you had? Would you go back or seek something elsewhere?

- On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your overall experience at this Fish-In?

Thanks.

Allan

Allan - 1st of all, the quality and quantity of your effort ranks at least an 11 on a scale of 1-10(best). If you ever give up fly tying, you can set up as a chef and I will come.

- as for busyness from other anglers, actually I was surprised how much water was available considering the buginess and Memorial Day weekend. Even Hazel was doable much of the time. There's a lot of water centering around Roscoe.

- the evening cookout worked out well, given the hot weather. It was a great idea to use the Willow Covered Bridge pavilion to fend off the rain, though the Roscoe campground did have great water right there.
    Lunch is ok too, again depending on the weather. There weren't too many dead times, even during the early (hot) part of the week. I was catching trouts throughout the day - terrestials worked very well when the hot sun was out. Maybe, again depending on the weather, the 2:00-4:00 period might work, being between the morning big olives and the evening spinner fall and hatch.

- tying was fine - our crowd and the droppers-by never completely saturated the Reynolds Lounge for long. The evening gave a chance to gather info and maybe tie flies for the next day. I repaired some of my flies one evening - faster than tying new ones.
    Some of the less hardy anglers tapered off as the week wore on, so there was some self regulation. Reynolds had 2 porches for us to spread out on, at least early in the evening.

- a specific scheduled trip, such as the Neversink, might work for some of the newer folks.

- just observing the newcomers and veterans, it looked like the interaction was great.

- newcomers could speak to the intimidation factor better, but at least one of our group never fly fished before, and she seemed to be enjoying herself. This Board and the chat Hut bring the folks together very well, compared to other groups I've been involved with.

- accomodations at Reynolds were just right. Plus there are a variety of other inns/motels/campgrounds nearby. A lot of choices, and not real pricey either.

- rating = 9+ (the trouts could have been just a bit more cooperative in rising - I really had to hunt them down at times) As it turned out, compared to 2 earlier sessions on the Beaverkill early May, I had more success, keeping a catch rate above 3/hr using just dries and getting a dozen 16"+ alphas among the hundred or so stockers for the week. I did get skunked 2 of the sessions, but I solved that problem by moving to another pool. Sunday morning I landed a 20" rainbow on a spinner at Hendrickson's, using a Kusse Elf with a Hardy Perfect and silk line. Then I broke off 2 bigger ones, the only breakoffs all week - guess I wore out the 6X tippets.

Again, Allan - thanks so much for your superb organization and effort.

tl
    les

[This message has been edited by lesyoung (edited 06 June 2006).]

Hi Allan,

I give your efforts a 10+ Allan. Thank you very much I had a wonderful time. So did my friend Jerry.

I think a picnic lunch say at 1:00 or 2:00 pm is a good idea. It leaves plenty of time for trying out rods and socializing before the evening hatch..

As for the rest of of your questions I'll whole heartedly agree with Les instead of repeating...very nice time...looking forward to next year already.

The overall fishin has to be rated a 10 for human effort and a 9 for fish cooperation.

Can't wait to read RW's report and see all of the pic's he took. It was a good idea having a designated person for pics and to do the full report.

HI ALLAN
    I have to agree with the rest of the guys you did a great job as usual a 10+ for sure. The noon luch is a great idea like someone said we could then cast rods tye or whatever and still have enough time to to catch the hatch at night.A organized trip to some other river would be good we could spend the whole day there. I would think that the fish in would benefit a beginner it still does wonders for myself I love to learn from all you guys the wealth of knowledge from the people at the fish ins I have been too is just amazing.I dont think there is any aspect of flyfishig be it tying,casting,rods,reels,insects or whatever someone can cover it.The renyolds house was good accomdations they allways are. I would rate the fish in a 10+ also with the fish about a eight

Allan,

Being that this was my first fish in actually my first fly fishing trip period I dont have anything with which to compare but you were a great host, very attentive to regulars as well as the newbies. Didi had a terrific time and that had alot to do with your efforts. The cook out was great, a lunch would be fine, and would leave more time for casting lessons and such before the evening hatch. Tying in the evening was good too a great way to unwind and if anyone wanted to go to bed they did not feel pressured to stay. And as far as guidance there was plenty some given some just from observance. Thanks again and Didi and I both had a time we will always remember.

Wire

Great job Allan, don't change a thing!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I live in a small town just north of cincinnati

Allan again this year the outing was super<<and so were the steaks >>the extra work you put into the event is greatly appreciated ,,,Les had it covered very well
    slic

Allen,
    This was my second time at the fishin, and I had a great time. Everyone is always friendly and willing to help. I thought the way it was planed was fine. Changing the cook out to lunch time would be good.
    Thanks to you and everyone else involved with the fish in.
    Tony

Thanks Allan,

We had a great time, good fishing and a great meal cooked by a master while watching a John Deere casting display. I previously associated them with lawn mowers, farm machinery and a brief foray in to snow mobiles.

I would support the tying sessions as well as the barbeque being in the middle of the day as it would provide more time to be together.

I missed being at the tying sessions this year but found that fishing to dark and then getting there got to be too late.

I rate the week as a 10, it would have been higher if we had participated more. Being recently married interfered to some degree with that this year!

You do a great job Allen and it is greatly appreiated. It is good to see all of you at Roscoe each spring and we look forward to next year.

Lauder and Patricia

+ Reply to Thread