+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tying off a Parachute Differently

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    I don't think you will find that the creator of the Sparkle Dun ever splays his zelon tail, nor do I.
    The trailing shuck on an insect is not wide.
    If you look at the photo of Charlie Craven's sparkle dun below, the zelon fibers naturally spread out when tied in. I believe they initially they fall on the water spread out and support the fly.

Although I use the image above as an example, I think if you search google images for sparkle dun, the tail is composed of spread out zelon.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...PObj0QHgxfWUAg
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I've read only a couple of posts in this thread but if anyone has access to the book by Royce Dam(not sure if it's 1 or 2 m's), you should see how he tyes a parachute fly. He does the best job I've seen in the technique, neatness, durability, and finishing off of the fly.

Allan

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Silver Creek;451873]If you look at the photo of Charlie Craven's sparkle dun below, the zelon fibers naturally spread out when tied in. I believe they initially they fall on the water spread out and support the fly.

Although I use the image above as an example, I think if you search google images for sparkle dun, the tail is composed of spread

Silver,
    I will stick with method of tying the Sparkle Dun that the inventer and promoter does it. You can watch his on utube as well.
    But thanks anyway.
    PS. The one you show does not appear to have a splayed zelon tail. There is no thread under the
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 05-01-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Byron,

To view a good demo clip on tying off around the post, go to KWSU.org, click on "Fly Tying the Anglers Art."
    click on season four and scroll down to episode 404 (Parachute Adams) The fly tyer is LeRoy Hyatt.
    Works very good for me.

Crunchy

Blog Entries

Crunchy,
    That is how I tie parachutes off now. Funny, I started tying back in the early 70's. There were no videos, youtube, even books with much on fly tying except the old school patterns and styles. So, I sort of learned on my own and tied parachutes the way I figured out on my own. The natural way seemed to be to tie the hackling feather off at the eye.

Now, I like the method of tying off at the post. Keeps things "cleaner".

+ Reply to Thread