+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the benefits??

1. Default What are the benefits??

I have never used a furled leader, what are the benefits of a furled leader? I have been using the store bought leaders for over 20yrs and never thought there has to be a better way. So whats it all about?

A furled leader is long lasting using a loop to loop connection for the tippet. A furled leader will last a season or more.
    They have little to no memory, no "Slinky" on the end of your fly line.
    A furled leader can be cast just like a fly line allowing the use of longer tippets.
    Excelent presentation.
    There's much more and I'm sure otheres will be chiming in.

Well Said, John. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I use a furled leader for my dry fly fishing that is made from Flourocarbon. Much like the others, it is very durable, turns over the fly every time regardless of how bad the rest of my cast was, and best of all no memory. Now unlike John's furled leader, mine is a bit stiffer than uni-thread.

I have used it for nymphing, but like John, not my preference. I use a leader roughly the length of my rod. My 7'6" 3wt, I use a 6' leader. On my 9' 6wt, I use a 9' leader. For a dry-dropper or dry-dry combo, it is hands down the best thing for me since sliced bread. I get so many less tangles with it for some reason. I usually attach 2-5' of tippet, depending on where and my plans for fishing on the day. Tippet matched to the size of the fly by the standard divide by 4 means (ie. size 16 fly goes onto 4x tippet).

Unlike John, I don't make my own. I have no idea how to make them! If I could find a source for a threaded furl leader, I'd probably buy from them just to try it out.

One furled leader lasted me all last season, and so far going strong this season with no wear.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Hi John, A great write-up but I'm anxious to know what the "annoying" things are. Thanks/

Default Knotted Tapered Leaders/Commercial Nylon Tapered Leaders/Furled Tapered Leaders

I have built my own Knotted Tapered Leaders, in the early years of my fly fishing. Later I move on to Commercial Made Tapered Leaders. Both of these Tapered Furled Leaders where lacking in one thing, uniformity of continuous taper from the butt end to the tip end of the leader.

Knotted Tapered Leaders had the knots that attract algae when casting.

The Commercial Nylon Tapered Leaders have a Butt section that is 60% of the total length, then they cram all the other segments into 20% of the leader, finishing off with the tip section being the final 20%.

I have written on furled taper leaders on this Bulletin Board, and have written articles on FAOL about, my "Big Furled Leader Formula". Furled Leaders can be any percentage of taper, 50%...53%...57%...60%.

The furled leader can be 7?-5?-3?, 6?-4?-2? or what ever loop sequence you wish. The thread can be of any diameter, weight or material.

You can use any color of thread, or combination of two colors, to match the color of the water your fishing.

You can dip your finished furled leader in a can of warmed varnish, wish will help seal the threads tightly together, and give the finished furled leader a backbone to help the cast.

You will need to build a furled leader board the look like a 9 foot long cribbage board, with just the hole positions you need for a the loop sequence and length you wish to build.

I am willing to mail anyone who is interested in furled leaders a PDF Version of my "Big Furled Leader Formula's. These are my calculations in three tapers (50%, 55%,60%), in three lengths (6 ft, 7? ft, 9 ft), These calculations are done in both Metric (centimeter) and English (inches) for the peg positions on the furled leader board.

I cover all costs of the "Big Furled Leader Formula CD" and the cost of postage anywhere in the world...

contact me at my email address: parnelli@comcast.net

~Parnelli

"Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Annoying Things are mostly your failure to take up building your own Tapered Furled Leaders, earlier.

I created the "Big Furled Leader Formula" that eliminates the hinge effect in the non-uniform tapered furled leaders formulas of others. I offer my Free "Big Furled Leader Formula CD" (PDF) at no cost of the CD or mailing to anyone, any where in the world.

To get this free CD, contact me at my email address:parnelli@comcast.net

I also offer all FAOL Fly Patterns that have run on FAOL over the past 14 years, as a CD (PDF) again at no cost for the CD or mailing.

~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    I suppose some would consider the fact that the thread leaders want to submerge annoying, and the need to dress them somehow to keep them floating also annoying. I like my leaders to submerge, so I don't consider that an annoyance, but an advantage. John
    I have fished the thread leader you mailed me for a couple of years now. I put it on my 3 wt. which I use mostly for fishing dry flies and a droppers rigs. The fact the leader hangs in the film do not hinder the fly in anyway to the best of my observation. I do not consider myself a furled leader fanatic but mysteriously all of my rods now seem to have some version of the same on them, some badly done I should note. But even the badly done versions work pretty well.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

You can dip your finished furled leader in a can of warmed varnish, wish will help seal the threads tightly together, and give the finished furled leader a backbone to help the cast.

~Parnelli

[/QUOTE]

You can also add 'backbone' by furling to 20-25% reduction. Such reduction produces a much tighter twist which results in making the leader stiffer. The degree of increase of stiffness seems to also be a function of the diameter, or tensile strength, of the material being used. With heavier, or greater tensile strength, materials; beyond about 22% reduction tends to produce leaders that can be too stiff; having lost their suppleness. For example, I use polyester threads that are equivalent to UNI 3/0, 6/0, and 8/0. I limit my reduction to 20% for the 3/0, and to 22% for the 6/0 and 8/0, and retain a desirable suppleness for my fishing (LMB and 'bream').
    Last edited by aged_sage; 05-16-2012 at 08:49 PM.

If you want to stiffen a thread leader, just add one strand(1 down and back) of 2# test mono to the leader before furling. Works like a charm.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

+ Reply to Thread