+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PA Fish Comission to propose questionable reg changes-please

1. Default PA Fish Comission to propose questionable reg changes-please

Hello,
    The PA fish/boat commission(PFBC)is having a meeting Wed. 3-16 to propose changes to the (trout) fishing regs. Some of the changes appear detrimental to trout and particularly wild, naturally reproducing trout. Changes are to include ELIMINATING barbless hook requirements on C&R streams, revamping its list of wild trout streams (impacts stocking) and stocking hatchery rainbows over wild browns.
    A few years ago the state was forced by DEP to close the Big Spring hatchery because the effluent caused poor water conditions downstream. I 'm not completely familiar with the situation so others please chime in.
    Since then it seems the PFBC has proposed changes that would negatively impact naturally reproducing trout and fly fishermen.
    Please see the proposed changes at [url=http://www.fish.state.pa.us:77f7e]www.state.pa.us[/url:77f7e]
    and post comments at [url=http://www.fish.state.pa.us/Fish/regcomments:77f7e]www.state.pa.us/Fish/regcomments[/url:77f7e]
    Thanks

[This message has been edited by kbobb (edited 13 March 2005).]

2. Default

That first link should be [url=http://www.fish.state.pa.us:68c28]www.fish.state.pa.us[/url:68c28]
    Click on the agenda section on the left , then click on March 16 agenda under the 2005 meeting schedule.

Sorry about that.

The regulation changes regarding stocking may not have as much of an impact as you think. I have fished the Yough many times and have seen that the massive stocking of rainbows there has had little impact on the wild browns. What seems to be happening is the browns eat the hell out of the smaller rainbows. In effect the PFBC are providing an excellent source of food for the Brownies. The many really fat browns I have seen come out of that river seem to attest to my theory.

As far as the other regs go, I'm just not sure what to think. It seems that any time the state or comission gets involved, things get screwed up. With the advent of a new liscense fee and the addition of the erie stamp, it seems as if the PFBC is only out to line its pockets in greenbacks. They cited the increase as a way to build a new hatchery system, but as of yet no plans have been drawn up or even discussed.

Well, just my $.02

Ben

kbobb, i have trout fished pa waters for over 50 years,ELIMINATING barbless hook requirements on C&R streams, i think this was one of the best way of saving fish to fight again. stock trout no longer have a appeal to me. not relay sure I'm going to buy a trout stamp,warm water fishing is looking better all the time.until the PFBC messes that up.

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

Time to start complaining again.

At least the PF&BC appear to listen to the comments of the angling community. The outcry against the opening of Delayed Harvest Fly Fishing Only Waters to all tackle helped to end that issue.

My two cents:

LEGAL 24 hour fishing is a plus. I for one break that rule every night when the Sulphurs are on. It's a silly rule that isn't enforceable anyway. Maybe with more fishermen legally on the water after dark poachers will be deterred.

Allowing wading in all special regulation streams will be a mistake. If any of you have ever fished the Heritage Section of Little Lehigh Creek you know what a disaster that will be.

Elimination of Delayed Harvest Fly Fishing Only to Catch & Release FFO; EXCELLENT idea!

Elimination of Heritage Regulations, STUPID idea! There are only 7 streams in the program and I think each one has unique qualities that require a different approach to allow such things as barb-less hooks, no wading, or other special rules. Or better yet go back to the old days when you had the Limestone Springs Wild Trout regulations that were the most restrictive because the waters involved were so special. It only covered three streams so was easy to deal with.

I agree with kbobb, if you fish in PA and care tell them what you think.

+ Reply to Thread