+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old Aberchrombe and Fitch fly rod

Hybrid View

Default Old Aberchrombe and Fitch fly rod

Hello

First post here, nice looking forum.

I have an old fly rod given to me by a neighbor, probably close to 25 years ago. He was clearing out his family's cottage and literally came walking over to my house with his arms full of old rods and reels, then went back for a second trip and came with two big tackle boxes. There were three A&F rod tube in the pile, but only one contained a rod. I used it off and on, not fishing all that hard, mostly for blugill and the occaisional small bass, but haven't had it out for the last 10 or so years. I have an opportunity to get out on some trout streams with an experienced fly fisherman, but wonder what the value of such a rod is (if it is worth more than it's "working" value). I appreciate old things, and like to use them for their purpose, but if the rod has a high value might consider selling it and buying a newer, more replaceable rod.

Any and all thoughts appreciated

Chuck

NewTyer 1 Guest

Try this website. They might be able to give you a better idea. It is solely dedicated to fiberglass rods. It looks as though it was made by Phillipson and sold by A&F.
    http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/index.php

The rod was built by Phillipson Rod and Tackle Company of Denver in the late 50's or very early 60's before Phillipson was sold to Johnson Reel Makers. The Phillipson version of this rod differed from the A & E rod in that it had red nylon wraps instead of the green wraps on your rod. The Phillipson rod sold for around $20.00 and I would suspect the A & E rod was similarly priced. I purchased one of the 8' rods in this line in 1960 and fished it for a number of years.
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Hi Chuck. Welcome to FAOL from So Cal. Fish it. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Guys

Thanks for the information. So would you consider such a rod to be sought after, or should I look at it as use it and enjoy the nastalga of having a piece of vintage equipment? Sorry, not familiar with Phillipson, nor could I wager a guess as to weather an A&F branded rod would be more or less valuable.

Chuck

Chuck,

Fish it and enjoy it.

Not particularly valuable in that condition.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Chuck,

Fish it and enjoy it.

Not particularly valuable in that condition.

Buddy
    Thanks for the honest assesment.

Best
    Chuck

+ Reply to Thread