I've had alot on my mind the last few months and today, I finally had a chance to just think about going fishing. I'm at work, and can't afford to take off, so thinking is the best I can do for now. Anyway, i was looking at hopper patterns on the internet, when I had a thought. Alot of terrestrial patterns, hoppers, beetles, ants, etc. use foam for thier bodies. I've done that myself, but the thought that hit me is that they float. Obviously. The first carp I caught on a fly, was a bee pattern that someone had given me. I put on a split shot to get it down deep. i was watching the carp feed and I've seen drowned bugs floating in the water as well as on top of the water before, so I weighed down the fly and it worked. Then I got to thinking about my first foray into fly tying. I took some black chenille, a black feather, and a little piece of ziploc bag for the backing. Tied on the plastic, palmered teh chenille and the feather, trimmed off the top part of the fly, pulled the plastic down over top of the fly, tied it off and I had waht I called a spider. i remember being disappointed, because it didn't float. i was brand new at tying, it never crossed my mind that it would sink, however, i caught a bass off that fly and immediately renamed it to a "drowned" spider. Anyway, what terrestrial patterns do you fish under the surface?

thanks in advance,
hNt