+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My plate has been full, but...

Question My plate has been full, but...

I've had alot on my mind the last few months and today, I finally had a chance to just think about going fishing. I'm at work, and can't afford to take off, so thinking is the best I can do for now. Anyway, i was looking at hopper patterns on the internet, when I had a thought. Alot of terrestrial patterns, hoppers, beetles, ants, etc. use foam for thier bodies. I've done that myself, but the thought that hit me is that they float. Obviously. The first carp I caught on a fly, was a bee pattern that someone had given me. I put on a split shot to get it down deep. i was watching the carp feed and I've seen drowned bugs floating in the water as well as on top of the water before, so I weighed down the fly and it worked. Then I got to thinking about my first foray into fly tying. I took some black chenille, a black feather, and a little piece of ziploc bag for the backing. Tied on the plastic, palmered teh chenille and the feather, trimmed off the top part of the fly, pulled the plastic down over top of the fly, tied it off and I had waht I called a spider. i remember being disappointed, because it didn't float. i was brand new at tying, it never crossed my mind that it would sink, however, i caught a bass off that fly and immediately renamed it to a "drowned" spider. Anyway, what terrestrial patterns do you fish under the surface?

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I've caught trout on dubbed/hackle ants that inadvertently pulled the plug; never have fished a true sunken ant, although I hear they're dynamite. Fished with my wife's cousin, Mike, a few years ago on a little stream in NW Montana that saw a few locals and not much else; did pretty well on a bunch of 7-10" cutts using an Elk Hair Caddis while Mike used a spinning rod and Mepps. I caught up to him later in the day while he was fishing a very deep pool and saw him haul in back-to-back 18" westslopes using what turned out to be (formerly) live grasshoppers and 5 BB split shot. Went back there a couple times and tried sunken hopper and cricket patterns (imagine a Letort Hopper with 20 turns of non-toxic; an absolute joy to cast on a 4wt) but couldn't get them down deep enough fast enough to where the fishies lived. I guess a Green Weenie could be considered a sunken caterpillar/inch worm; been a while since I used one but they sure did work.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 04-26-2012 at 10:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread