+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ???Maine fly fishing opportunities???

Hybrid View

Default ???Maine fly fishing opportunities???

Our daughter-in-law just got her medical residency assignment, and she and my son will be living in Portland, Maine for the next four years. My wife and I will probably be visiting them several times over the next few years. We have been to Maine on vacation in the past, but that was before I got into fly fishing. I know there is some good fishing in that part of the country, but I'm not sure just where to look in relation to Portland. I'm not particular about species, I enjoy fishing for anything on a fly rod. My son has even expressed a possible interest in joining me and giving it a try. Any good waters in the Portland area to start with? What other locations would you suggest as well while we are out that way? And rather than blindly thrashing around out there looking for fish, do you have any good guides that you would recommend?
    Thanks for any input you can give me.
    CJ

NewTyer 1 Guest

Saltwater my friend. Stripers, blues. It's coastal heaven

I agree with the salty suggestion. There's untold miles of inshore water to explore, even with all the privatization along the Maine coast. Stripers will show up heavy in early June. Saco and Scarborough rivers, Nubble Light, Reed State Park, are just a few places for you to look at. There's a great guide named John Ford (Portland Guide Service) that would shorten your learning curve by several years. Inland, there's some large and smallmouth in lakes. Pretty good fishing, but in a boat. I would really call and talk to John Ford. Even if you didn't book a trip on his boat, he'd still give you info. He's a very nice guy, and a great fisherman. I never asked, but I think he'd do a shore guiding day, too. He gave me some great shore spots, I'd have never found on my own. An hour south, is an incredibly productive fishery on the Merrimack and Plum Island Sound in Mass. Capt. Barry Clemson, Rowley, Ma. is the man to speak to there. His season starts mid-May. Goes about 2-3 weeks longer either side of the season, in general. The coast of Maine, NH and Ma. is jaw dropping, postcard a second, gorgeous. Enjoy.

Charlie
    Last edited by bluefish; 04-26-2012 at 01:23 PM.

There is plenty of great trout and bass fishing in Maine too.

For the latest local advice, if you're driving down from Boston, Kittery Trading Post in Kittery and Eldredge Brothers in Cape Neddick are well-stocked shops and great places to visit. If you're flying directly in to Portland, try the fly departments at Cabela's in Scarborough and L. L. Bean (the granddaddy of them all) in Freeport.
    Last edited by moucheur; 04-28-2012 at 04:18 AM.

http://www.ktpevents.com/interior.php/pid/9 Here's a link to KTP's fishing report. It's a good cross section of what's around. It's worth a visit as Mocheur suggested, and there's some spots on the Piscataqua to fish, too. I was trying to stay within an hour of Portland. There's some incredible fisheries in Maine if you want to drive .

Guys, thanks for the information. Lots of good stuff to get me started on planning a trip out there. I'm not sure just when we'll be going, if it will be right away this summer to help them get moved in to their new place, or later after they get a chance to settle in. Waiting to see how we can coordinate our schedule with theirs. Plus, with Amy's residency, we'll get out there a few different times over the next four years. What I don't fish on one trip, I do on another. Thanks again.
    CJ

+ Reply to Thread