+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overlooked Caddis Stage Pattern

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Overlooked Caddis Stage Pattern

Hi,
    The entomologist and hatch watchers have agreed on the following:

1. Trout rarely take caddis flies as they hatch on the surface. The emerging caddis takes off almost immediately, thus not allowing the trout a chance to take the adult before it flies off. What we usually see are splashy rises as the trout chases the emerger to the surface.
    2. The swarming of caddis over and around the water are mating swarms and the males fly off to die in the brush or weeds or trees.
    3. The female does return to lay eggs on the water or to dive through the surface to deposit their eggs near or on the bottom.

So, the adult caddis insect which is on the surface long enough for the trout to take them are spent female caddis.

Anyway, I agree with all this from my observations. And, I believe the spent caddis style is the fly for such spent adult females.

Reverse tapered body
    Partridge feather for overwing
    Hackled at collar
    Hackle trimmed flat at bottom for low riding
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-26-2012 at 01:08 AM.

1. Trout rarely take caddis flies as they hatch on the surface. The emerging caddis takes off almost immediately, thus not allowing the trout a chance to take the adult before it flies off. What we usually see are splashy rises as the trout chases the emerger to the surface?????? what?
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

AlanB Guest

A friend of mine once shot a video of a caddis emerging from its pupa. The emergence took less than a second. (Sorry I don't think the video is on line). That would mean that emerging caddis are not available to trout as a food item of any significance. Once emerged the caddis isn't able to take flight immediately, it runs and flaps its wings on the surface until it can get airborne. This is a very significant time for trout to feed on them. Skittering a caddis on the surface can produce great sport.

For many years I have used a very similar pattern to yours, Byron. Hare's ear dubbing, gold rib, grouse covert wing and a red game hackle. It can work at different times, in different ways. Sometimes static, other times you need to move it. Its a case of finding out what the trout want.

The pupa is the major food item here on the Highland lochs. There are many patterns that imitate it. Possibly the most well known is the Invicta. A very good tactic is to fish a fly that sinks when pulled and then pops up again. Takes can be amazing. Recently I have started using this pattern for fish feeding just sub surface on caddis pupa.

The body is Nymph Skin from Virtual nymph with picric dyed ostrich herl (the one in the picture is a little dark), the head and wing deer hair. Crop the head roughly then set fire to it! It gives a great bullet head, and makes the fly a little more waterproof.
    Cheers,
    A.

I don't think we can make as many gross generalizations about caddis as we can about mayflies or stoneflies. Different species act very differently. Most take off quickly as Byron suggested. A few species are "runners" as Alan suggested (although I think these are mostly stillwater caddis).

My understanding is that Brachycentrus (grannoms, Mother's Day caddis, etc.) stay on the water after hatching for minutes at a time.

That said, the spent or egglaying stages are probably under fished.

Those are both beautiful flies.

I have experienced several excellent caddis hatches on a certain east Tennessee river that is known for good hatches of Caddis. When the hatch comes off really good, the surface of the water, in certain places, can be littered with caddis fluttering and drying wings before take off. I've witnessed them on the surface for a minute or longer before they take off in flight. And the resident trout go nuts, feeding on them on the surface like mad.
    I have witnessed this first-hand, many times, and would respectfully disagree strongly that trout rarely feed on caddis on the surface.
    Mark 1:17

A warning to those of you that share your area of tying with one that does not tye! AianB use of Flame could
    cause domestic in tranquility, the smell of burning hair can be down right unpleasant! This could be cause
    for possible loss of tying privileges in shared common areas. Try doing it outside first Depending on what
    pattern you are tying, the use of a electric soldering gun, iron or wood burning tool may add helpful
    control. Fishin' Jimmy

Byron,

A number of good tiers have designed Spent Caddis patterns including Ralph Cutter, Mike Mercer, Mike Lawson. Craig Matthews, Jim Schollmeyer and Davy Wotton - just to mention a few...

Mercer's Missing Link is one of the more recent additions:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/eccaddis.htm

The stage that has allways interested me most, through the years, is the "stuck in the shuck" or "crippled stage". This is an older pattern that I came across in 1984 that absolutely slays, when a full blown hatch is in progress on still or moving water:

...and more than just a few of the emerging Caddis never make it out of their shucks...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Both of these are really kewl tyes! I've used one like Byrons for a number of years in the mountains, but I don't know about Alans'!! "Crop the head roughly then set fire to it!" Wow! I'm not allowed to used anything sharp or involving fire!! both for my safety and for those around me!!
    Really. Really kewl flys!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread