+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overlooked Caddis Stage Pattern

Hybrid View

I have experienced several excellent caddis hatches on a certain east Tennessee river that is known for good hatches of Caddis. When the hatch comes off really good, the surface of the water, in certain places, can be littered with caddis fluttering and drying wings before take off. I've witnessed them on the surface for a minute or longer before they take off in flight. And the resident trout go nuts, feeding on them on the surface like mad.
    I have witnessed this first-hand, many times, and would respectfully disagree strongly that trout rarely feed on caddis on the surface.
    Mark 1:17

A warning to those of you that share your area of tying with one that does not tye! AianB use of Flame could
    cause domestic in tranquility, the smell of burning hair can be down right unpleasant! This could be cause
    for possible loss of tying privileges in shared common areas. Try doing it outside first Depending on what
    pattern you are tying, the use of a electric soldering gun, iron or wood burning tool may add helpful
    control. Fishin' Jimmy

Byron,

A number of good tiers have designed Spent Caddis patterns including Ralph Cutter, Mike Mercer, Mike Lawson. Craig Matthews, Jim Schollmeyer and Davy Wotton - just to mention a few...

Mercer's Missing Link is one of the more recent additions:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/eccaddis.htm

The stage that has allways interested me most, through the years, is the "stuck in the shuck" or "crippled stage". This is an older pattern that I came across in 1984 that absolutely slays, when a full blown hatch is in progress on still or moving water:

...and more than just a few of the emerging Caddis never make it out of their shucks...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

AlanB Guest

The thought of the smell hadn't occured to me. I have virtually no sense of smell. A side effect from working with some very nasty aircraft hydraulic oil. Sorry I should have mentioned it.
    Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    Byron,

A number of good tiers have designed Spent Caddis patterns including Ralph Cutter, Mike Mercer, Mike Lawson. Craig Matthews, Jim Schollmeyer and Davy Wotton - just to mention a few...

Mercer's Missing Link is one of the more recent additions:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/eccaddis.htm

The stage that has allways interested me most, through the years, is the "stuck in the shuck" or "crippled stage". This is an older pattern that I came across in 1984 that absolutely slays, when a full blown hatch is in progress on still or moving water:

...and more than just a few of the emerging Caddis never make it out of their shucks...

PT/TB
    Very nice. Will try that. Looks deadly!!!
    Materials list, please

Here 'ya go Byron...

HOOK: TMC 100, Daiichi 1100, #14-#18

THREAD: Gordon Griffiths 14/0 Sheer, Black, Olive or Tan

TAIL/SHUCK: Marabou (appropriate color) or CLEAR Antron

ABDOMEN: Fly-Rite, extra fine Poly Dubbing

#16 BCS 21 Chartreuse

#3 BCS 30 Olive

#19 BCS 91/95 Tan

RIB: Largutan fine gold

UNDERWING: (Optional) 3 strands of pearl Midge Flash, cut short

OUTRIGGER WINGS: Grizzly Tips or Web Wing (appropriate shade) cut to shape

WING: Coastal Deer Hair / Dark Tips

HEAD: Spun Deer Hair, compacted and clipped to bullet shape

More info HERE:

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/201...ippled-caddis/

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

some species of caddis may be as you described, a generalization, quick to emerge rarely giving the trout the opportunity for a snack. The Rhycos and the Hydropsyche we have in the east stay on the water for much longer than you describe and the trout feast on them as one other poster observed in Tenn. What you refer to as the "entomologists and so and so have agreed' does not work in this neck of the woods, in fact they are our bread and butter in the spring and summer. Funny, Matthew's loop wing caddis emerger and his x2 work quite well here. Kinda wonder why he ties them if they don't stay on the water long........
    Last edited by flybugpa; 04-26-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Blog Entries

I will ask him. I believe they represent cripples, thus the shuck.

Gary Lafontaine, on page 31 of his seminal book Caddisflies, states that there are two stages during the emergence that the fish concentrate on. One is when the pupa are cutting themselves out of their cases and the other when they are stuck at the film during emergence.

I believe that virtually all emerging insects have a problem penetrating the film or menicus. We think of the meniscus as the film that supports our flies BUT in reality it is a tough barrier in both directions. The egg laying caddis has to dive bomb the film in order to penetrate it to lay its eggs. It makes no sense that a rising pupa can have the the velocity to penetrate the film when it is rising against gravity and traveling through water that is 700 times as dense as air.

The meniscus stops the ascent and the pupa must push it's thorax against the film to form a "trap door" through which it emerges. After it emerges, it spends a variable amount of time on the water and then it flies off. But during emergence at the film, a caddis is as vulnerable as a midge or mayfly.

One of Gary Borger's favorite lines is that you cannot run with your pants down. The sparkle dun is a mayfly emerger with a trailing shuck - eg, it's pants are down. Similarly, the X-caddis with it's zelon shuck is an emerging caddis with it's pants down. Craig Mathews once told me to tie to with a shorter wing than a regular EHC, because the wing is not fully emerged.

See step 6 below, "You can also tie the X-Caddis with a shorter wing to imitate partially emerged cripples and I do that as well on some flies."

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...m?parentID=129
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

if they had a shuck they would be climbing out of it, just like the iris caddis , it too has a shuck. Craig once told me of a guy he knows that uses pink zelon for the shuck and does just as well or better than their traditional amber color. there goes the therory of matching the hatch. Shucks are translucent when you see them in the water,(polar bear zelon color) they only take on an amber cast when you hold one in your hand. I related this to Craig and it is when he told be of the pink version. he also has a guy who uses red on the x2. Again so much for hatch matching.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

+ Reply to Thread