+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gurglers for LMB

Hybrid View

Default Gurglers for LMB

What size hooks should I use for 2-3lb LMB. I have a small lake chuck full of them. I was thinking 1/0?

That's the size I use. I actually tie them on Mustad 34007ss saltwater hooks. I use them for stripers, too. The heavier hook counteracts the air resistance of the foam, so they cast a little easier. I pinch the barb down and sharpen the hook, as they are pretty dull out of the box. If you get a good dragonfly hatch, match the color of the dragons with some chenille wrapped around the shank under the foam. Works pretty well.

Charlie

I really don't enjoy casting large flies unless I am using a 8-9 weight rod which is too big for the fish you're catching in my opinion. I use size 2 or perhaps 1 streamer hooks for my gurglers and have caught some very nice bass on them. I don't care for stinger hooks either as I've had too many of them straighten out on me when trying to keep a nice bass out of brush.

I also tie my Gurglers with an upper and a lower lip. I start with a strip of closed-cell foam about 3/8 inch wide and 3-4 inches long. Start your thread a the bend in the hook and lay an even layer of thread up to the eye of the hook. Now, hook the foam about 1/4 inch from the end and slide it up to the eye of the hook so the lip is bleow the eye of the hook. Next, place a good coat of super glue on the thread and lay the foam the length of the shank. Wrap the thread down the length of the foam so that the foam wraps around the hook shank. At this point, I tie in eyelash yarn with 3/4 inch long fibers at the bend of the hook. Take the thread to the eye and wrap the eyelash yarn to about 1/4 from the eye and secure with the thread. Now. pull the foam back over the shank of the hook and secure it at the eye. Trim the lips to the desired length and you're ready to go. I feel that the two lips creates more disturbance in the water which attracts the attention of the bass.

Jim Smith

Allen,

Use the largest size hook you can cast effectively with your gear.

Bass that size have a mouth that can handle ANY size hook you would be likely to cast, and the larger the hook the better job you will do in hooking the fish.

If you use 'standard' length hooks, you can get a larger hook gape for a shorter shank length. This gives you better hooking potential, as well as keeping the gurgler balanced properly. That little extra weight of the larger bend and point seem to make the fly work and cast more effectively. Look at 1/0 through 3/0 worm hooks or Mustad 3366s.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Tie a few smaller, say #4, too.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Use the largest size hook you can cast effectively with your gear.

Bass that size have a mouth that can handle ANY size hook you would be likely to cast.....Look at 1/0 through 3/0 worm hooks or Mustad 3366s.
    Most of our local pond bass are in the 2lb range, too, and I use #4 3366s for Gurglers; not too bad casting with a 6wt. I caught one about 4lb and the fly looked lost in that bucket of a mouth.

Regards,
    Scott

Thanks! I have two Redington Preditors in the 7'10" length. Ones an 8wt and ones a 6wt. Forgot to mention I'll be on a kayak so its more of a lobbing technique. I was wondering about the hook to mouth size ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    I also tie my Gurglers with an upper and a lower lip. I start with a strip of closed-cell foam about 3/8 inch wide and 3-4 inches long. Start your thread a the bend in the hook and lay an even layer of thread up to the eye of the hook. Now, hook the foam about 1/4 inch from the end and slide it up to the eye of the hook so the lip is bleow the eye of the hook. Next, place a good coat of super glue on the thread and lay the foam the length of the shank. Wrap the thread down the length of the foam so that the foam wraps around the hook shank. At this point, I tie in eyelash yarn with 3/4 inch long fibers at the bend of the hook. Take the thread to the eye and wrap the eyelash yarn to about 1/4 from the eye and secure with the thread. Now. pull the foam back over the shank of the hook and secure it at the eye. Trim the lips to the desired length and you're ready to go. I feel that the two lips creates more disturbance in the water which attracts the attention of the bass.

Jim Smith
    Jim, I tied one up trying to follow your instructions as well as I could from memory. I also included a marabou tail. I tried it out last night on a pond that the past few years of fishing have suggested has a relatively SMALL population of bass. It was crazy! From just one trip, I can't be sure if it was just the fly, or the weather, or time of year...or some other factor...but the fish were ALL OVER this pattern last night! I landed 7 bass, lost probably 5 others, and also caught some NICE bluegills, a green sunfish, and a few crappies on this. I was having so much fun! The way I had it tied, the two lips are sort of curved so they look like an open mouth. This REALLY creates a ruckus on the surface...and the bass went NUTS for it.
    Thanks for posting your instructions!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Thanks for posting your instructions!
    Question: what purpose does the eyelash yarn have? Can I just use chenille?

Also, after sliding the foam to the eye, and laying the super glue on the thread, how much of the foam do you tie down?
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

Chenille will work. The eyelash yarn DOES give it some extra bulk and weight, and maybe some movement in the water. But I bet using chenille will not deter any fish. Last night they seemed to just be going berserk for the commotion that the"lips" were creating. The wet chenille will also add some weight and bulk.

As for tying down the bottom section of foam...I don't know what Jim does...I personally tied it all down to within 1/8" of the eye...but my "lips" extended out beyond the hook eye at least a 1/4". A guy could do that differerently by having the hook eye out even with the lips or even sticking out beyond the lips. Even with the hook eye recessed like I had it, tying to the line was no problem...the foam just flips back out of the way while tying on the line, then I flipped them back forward to fish it.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread