+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tippet ring?

Default tippet ring?

What is the thoughts of tippet rings on the end of the line amongst those in the Tenkara community?

I have one on the end of a tenkara line tenkarabum made for me. I like it. The tiny amount of weight it adds to the line is more than offset by the convenience it adds.

I incorporate a tip ring in all the furled leaders I make for my conventional fly rods and for the furled line / leaders I make for my Tenkara rods.

I tried tip rings with conventional mono leaders before I started making my own and really didn't like them in that application. So I wouldn't be inclined to use them if I were going to use a level line rather than a furled line / leader for the Tenkara rods.

John
    The fish are always right.

I was curious how it is percieved, as I'm sure it isn't considered traditional. I do like the convienence of them on my western set up so I'm just curious of the perception.

Brandon

I add it to all my lines - level or furled/traditional. I would argue that its actually light enough not to break water surface tension by itself. you can attach it easily to a level or tippet with a simpe figure eight knot. Never had a connection fail on the tippet ring so far.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with what is considered traditional. Throughout the history of tenkara, there have been advancements in the equipment used. If everyone on down the line had rigidly held to what was at the time traditional, we would all be fishing with bamboo rods and horsehair lines (not to say there's anything wrong with either one!). I see no reason whatsoever why the next advancement, whatever it is, could not come from the US rather than from Japan.
    Tenkara Bum

Thanks Chris! I'm hoping to try out Tenkara in coming days, but will be making my own furled line. Wouldn't want to do something taboo. I'm so excited about trying this, I am like a little boy at Christmas standing in front of the tree with all the presents having to wait for mom and dad.

Brandon

Advantage to the ring for me is several things. When cutting the tippet off the leader, be it to add fresh, or to add a different weight, there is no chance of clipping the leader. I tried the loop to loop, but it hinged for me. Plus I use fluoro for tippet and it has cut my thread leaders.
    As for the Tenkara, I do attach a ring to some, but only by request. I make Tenkara lines for several people and some do mot want the ring. They say it makes it harder to attach the line to the rod.

Lightbulb If I may be so bold ...

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    I am not criticizing anyone for using tippet rings if that is what you want to do but, would someone please explain to me what the advantages are of using a tip ring?

It makes attaching tippet to the end of the leader quicker and simpler. Just use a clinch knot. That is easier than tying a loop in the end of the tippet for a loop to loop connection and then making the loop to loop connection. Also, no hassle removing tippet from the leader. Clip the clinch knot and stow the tippet. Easier and quicker to change tippet sizes.

I can see how using a ring might be an advantage if you are fishing with a dropper and the ring helps hold the dropper leader out and away from the rest of the leader rigging.

I haven't tried that, and I don't think it would work. In that situation, the ring would be one more thing to complicate things and make a mess.

I use the Loop-to-Loop method myself, which is pretty easy to deal with and takes no more knot tying than using a tip ring set up would.

See above. For me, a clinch knot to the tip ring is much easier and quicker than tying any form of loop knot and then doing a loop to loop connection.

The ring just seems like an extra piece of gear to solve a problem that doesn't really exist to me.

The ring is part of a process for some of us, not a part of solving a problem that doesn't exist.

And, I bet there are lots of times fish will hit the ring instead of your fly.

Been fishing furled thread leaders with tip rings for seven plus years on conventional fly angling gear and two years on Tenkara line / leaders and have NEVER seen or felt a fish go for the tip ring. ( I fish thread furled leaders with tip rings somewhere between 75 and 100 days per year, so that is NOT a limited sample. )

Fish do the same thing with knots, which is an indication that the fish are feeding on midge pupa. Are there black colored rings also for sale? And are the black rings more or less effective in keeping the fish striking the ring than bright shiny ones are?

I've used both regular bright shiny silvery / chromy rings and darkened ones. Since I've NEVER seen or felt a fish hit a tip ring, I can only say that neither one is more likely to appeal to a fishy.

If anyone has any thoughts on these questions, I would sure appreciate hearing what you have to say.

You have.

Thank you in advance....

You're welcome.

Golden.
    If you have any further questions about my experience with tip rings, fire away.

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    If you have any further questions about my experience with tip rings, fire away.

John

WoW...that is all I can say

+ Reply to Thread