Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
I am not criticizing anyone for using tippet rings if that is what you want to do but, would someone please explain to me what the advantages are of using a tip ring?

It makes attaching tippet to the end of the leader quicker and simpler. Just use a clinch knot. That is easier than tying a loop in the end of the tippet for a loop to loop connection and then making the loop to loop connection. Also, no hassle removing tippet from the leader. Clip the clinch knot and stow the tippet. Easier and quicker to change tippet sizes.

I can see how using a ring might be an advantage if you are fishing with a dropper and the ring helps hold the dropper leader out and away from the rest of the leader rigging.

I haven't tried that, and I don't think it would work. In that situation, the ring would be one more thing to complicate things and make a mess.

I use the Loop-to-Loop method myself, which is pretty easy to deal with and takes no more knot tying than using a tip ring set up would.

See above. For me, a clinch knot to the tip ring is much easier and quicker than tying any form of loop knot and then doing a loop to loop connection.

The ring just seems like an extra piece of gear to solve a problem that doesn't really exist to me.

The ring is part of a process for some of us, not a part of solving a problem that doesn't exist.

And, I bet there are lots of times fish will hit the ring instead of your fly.

Been fishing furled thread leaders with tip rings for seven plus years on conventional fly angling gear and two years on Tenkara line / leaders and have NEVER seen or felt a fish go for the tip ring. ( I fish thread furled leaders with tip rings somewhere between 75 and 100 days per year, so that is NOT a limited sample. )

Fish do the same thing with knots, which is an indication that the fish are feeding on midge pupa. Are there black colored rings also for sale? And are the black rings more or less effective in keeping the fish striking the ring than bright shiny ones are?

I've used both regular bright shiny silvery / chromy rings and darkened ones. Since I've NEVER seen or felt a fish hit a tip ring, I can only say that neither one is more likely to appeal to a fishy.

If anyone has any thoughts on these questions, I would sure appreciate hearing what you have to say.

You have.

Thank you in advance....

You're welcome.

Golden.
If you have any further questions about my experience with tip rings, fire away.

John