+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tippet ring?

Hybrid View

Default tippet ring?

What is the thoughts of tippet rings on the end of the line amongst those in the Tenkara community?

I have one on the end of a tenkara line tenkarabum made for me. I like it. The tiny amount of weight it adds to the line is more than offset by the convenience it adds.

I incorporate a tip ring in all the furled leaders I make for my conventional fly rods and for the furled line / leaders I make for my Tenkara rods.

I tried tip rings with conventional mono leaders before I started making my own and really didn't like them in that application. So I wouldn't be inclined to use them if I were going to use a level line rather than a furled line / leader for the Tenkara rods.

John
    The fish are always right.

I was curious how it is percieved, as I'm sure it isn't considered traditional. I do like the convienence of them on my western set up so I'm just curious of the perception.

Brandon

I add it to all my lines - level or furled/traditional. I would argue that its actually light enough not to break water surface tension by itself. you can attach it easily to a level or tippet with a simpe figure eight knot. Never had a connection fail on the tippet ring so far.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with what is considered traditional. Throughout the history of tenkara, there have been advancements in the equipment used. If everyone on down the line had rigidly held to what was at the time traditional, we would all be fishing with bamboo rods and horsehair lines (not to say there's anything wrong with either one!). I see no reason whatsoever why the next advancement, whatever it is, could not come from the US rather than from Japan.
    Tenkara Bum

Thanks Chris! I'm hoping to try out Tenkara in coming days, but will be making my own furled line. Wouldn't want to do something taboo. I'm so excited about trying this, I am like a little boy at Christmas standing in front of the tree with all the presents having to wait for mom and dad.

Brandon

+ Reply to Thread