Thread: tippet ring?

Threaded View

John, you are correct that my frame of reference for fish hitting knots and tippet rings is primarily concerning still water fly fishing. What does it matter? Well, this is not a big problem as these things go but, it just irks me when a trout hits my leader/line knots rather than taking the fly I am presenting to the fish. Which is understandable enough I would think for anyone here. I have just ordered a Rigs Adventure Co. Tapered, Floating Temkara Fly Line that comes with a braided loop at the rod end and a tippet ring at the fly end of the line, so I will do a line review after I have fished it a bit and let you know if I get hits on the ring, which I fully expect to happen in ponds and lakes that I fsh. And you are also right that this is not nearly as big an issue for anyone fishing on freestone mountain streams.

Why is getting a floating Tenkara line so important to me? Again, it is for fishing stillwaters. The Traditional T-USA line really sinks too fast to be optimum for fishing stillwaters. With midge pupa, you want the fly to sink slower than that line allows, and then to slowly ascend in the water column with out much forward motion, with frequent stops to rest and slight descents before resuming its up and down climb to the water surface. The level and tapered Fluorocarbon lines presently available are not too bad but there is still a lot of room for improvement in my view. My best stillwater dry fly fishing often comes under windy conditions, when it is not practical to hold your line up and off of the water because the wind will blow your line around too much, creating drag or lifting the fly right up out of the water if it is windy enough, which is all to common here in the Sierra. The sinking lines do not drift at the same speed as the surface water currents the wind generates on the lakes, causing drag on the fly pattern and eventually pulling the fly under the water, which makes those lines much less effective when the fish are really hitting up-slope-wind-deposited terrestrial insects on the surface of these high mountain lakes, which happens nearly every afternoon in the mountains where I fish, close to right on top of the shoreline. Most of my casts are made only a few feet off of shore and ahead of me, parallel to the shoreline. A high degree of stealth is required to keep from scaring the fish but, unbelievable numbers of fish can be caught if you can pull it off and make good presentations. I am doing much better with Tenkara tackle than I ever did before with my western fly fishing tackle. One of the most effective presentations involves doing the bow-and-arrow-cast with a total line length of no longer than the rod is long, including the tippet and the fly. And really, a couple of feet shorter than the rod is long is an even better line length to use, as the terrestrial insects stack up in the splash-back zone right against the windward shore of these alpine lakes. Contrary to common opinion, Tenkara Fly Fishing is not just applicable to small, narrow mountain streams.
    Last edited by Golden; 07-26-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: additional material