+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colors of your Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    I do believe small, say 10' to 15' wide headwaters, call for shirts that blend with your environment.
    Larger streams and rivers not so much.
    I pretty much agree with that. I usually wear "earth tone" clothing regardless of where I intend to fish, mostly because it's what I own the most of, and secondly because I never know when I start out if I might decide to take a detour to a small, low stream.

I don't think it matters on 90% of the water I end up fishing on, though.
    Bob

Blog Entries

3Day,

I wear shirts and hats that are tan or sage green in color so I can blend in better with the background that the fish sees from under the water.

However, most of the drift boats I ride in tend to be white in color or at least have a lot of white on them. Some have a lot of bright to medium blue as well. All the bottoms of the boats are white.

So, who knows.

But, then I fish in the larger rivers of WA and western MT. When fishing small pocket waters I know that the more you blend in and the less movement the fish can see means you will spook them less.

Larry ---sagefisher---

For the small brookie streams I fish, color seems to matter, movement a biggie, one other thing is the direction of the sunlight.. how its hitting the water, if its at the right angle I could be wearing anything and they won't see me...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

After fishing for wild trout on a lot of Western Montana and Idaho freestone streams and rivers, large and small, year round for nine years ( averaging around 130-135 days per year ), I think color of clothing is not important at all.

Dress comfortably for the conditions, minimize your movement and noise, do a good job in selecting and presenting flies, and enjoy yourself.

John
    The fish are always right.

Dr. Bill Hanneman wrote a really good phamphlet on what fish see. A real eye opener - he,he, he.
    It's a lot more than you might think at least during the day through a still water boundry. Can't find it anymore. Maybe someone else remembers it. I agree on the night stuff. You can almost sneak up withing a few yards of feeding browns at night.

Bob

Most of my clothes are earth tones, so that's what I wear. I think a more important thing is to move slowly and quietly...
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Quote Originally Posted by clarkman23 View Post
    Most of my clothes are earth tones, so that's what I wear. I think a more important thing is to move slowly and quietly...
    Egrets are very white, move VERY slowly- and catch lots of fish dinners.

Chuck

+ Reply to Thread