+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colors of your Shirt

Hybrid View

Question Colors of your Shirt

I was reading the post about the sound the fly line makes if you lift it off the water and whether or not it spooks fish. That got me to thinking what about the color of your clothes? I have always heard not to wear white or bright colors when you are fishing in clear water because the fish can see the white or bright colors better and it will spook them. If that is the case then why do so many "fishing" shirts come in white or very bright colored. I understand why you might want orange because of hunters. I have tried to go back and think about the last few times I went fishing and what I was wearing in relation to how much I caught. I honestly could tell the difference. The last few times however the water was very stained. So what do ya'll think?

Thanks in Advance
    Jason
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

I am a strong believer that the color of the clothing you wear is important in many fishing conditions. Fish have to survive by being aware of their surroundings and that includes what is going on outside the water as well as in it. If you think of the times as a kid you were swimming under water and look out at people either on docks or the shoreline. You see the colors and any movement really captures your attention, especially if the color is bright. I read an article where there was a scuba diver in the water to take photos of the flies being fished. He kept seeing bright flashes like a camera flash which were distracting him and ruining his shots. When he stuck his head out of the water to see what was causing the flashes, he saw that it was the sun reflecting off of the bright chrome foreceps clipped to the fisherman's vest. Everytime the man made a forward cast, the foreceps would move through the sunlight causing the bright flashing. Do you think a wiley old trout would see those flashes and not think that something wasn't quite right. I need all the advantages I can get so I always dress in subdued colors usually worn or faded clothing when I go fishing. I also spray painted my foreceps flat black. The one exception to that rule is saltwater fishing where bright white and light blue colors tend to blend in with the sky. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

Many fly fishers wear bright clothing because it's, well, fashionable. Personally, I like matte finish fly rods, because I want to minimize flash.

The late Charlie Brooks wrote about an experiment he tried on the Madison (I think). He wore camo clothing, and stood still in midstream. Trout continued to feed in front of him. He then had a fellow fisher, wearing a white shirt, slowly step out from behind him. According to Charlie, the rises diminished substantially.

Chuck

I would think the more visible you are the less likely fish will be spooked and swim away. Because you are visble the fish can see your movements and react according when a threat is precieved. Wearing colors that reduce your visiblility to the fish may cause the fish to be more cautious and react to movements that would not otherwise be the case if you were clearly visible.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Most Western waters(tailwaters, freestones) get pounded every day, all day. So if all those waders and boots traversing the stream don't spook the fish, I'm not worried about my shirt, or my white hat. On the San Juan the fish actually follow you around as you wade. If trout spooked at every little thing out of the ordinary, they'd all starve to death.
    I don't see what "fashionable" has to do with the discussion. Been in a fly shop lately? There's not a lot of bright clothing on the rack.
    Now a low pressure, small clear creek, different ball game.

BUT, there are exceptions....................

There are situations where I DO agree however. Flat Creek in the National Elk Refuge outside Jackson Wyoming where you have to crawl to the bank and cast from the prone position. In THAT situation you CAN wear white but it won't be white for long.

Mark

if you wear white in low light (or dark) conditions, it probably won't make a hill of beans difference. looking up in the dark water, all you can see is the silver surface...this is why dark flies work in those conditiions.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    BUT, there are exceptions....................

There are situations where I DO agree however. Flat Creek in the National Elk Refuge outside Jackson Wyoming where you have to crawl to the bank and cast from the prone position. In THAT situation you CAN wear white but it won't be white for long.

Mark
    Your photo makes you look like your wearing pink....or is it my monitor ?
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Blog Entries

3Day,

I wear shirts and hats that are tan or sage green in color so I can blend in better with the background that the fish sees from under the water.

However, most of the drift boats I ride in tend to be white in color or at least have a lot of white on them. Some have a lot of bright to medium blue as well. All the bottoms of the boats are white.

So, who knows.

But, then I fish in the larger rivers of WA and western MT. When fishing small pocket waters I know that the more you blend in and the less movement the fish can see means you will spook them less.

Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread