+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attractor Dries for Dry-Dropper Rigs

I fish a dry/nymph combo most of the time and I use Tungsten bead head nymphs quite a bit. I use a Foam beetle or a Madam X sometimes but mostly I use an Elk hair caddis, great fly, easy to see and floats well. Many of our streams are quite deep and I might go as far as 8 to 10 feet between the dry and the nymph or in a riffle it might only be 2 feet.All the best.Mike

I might go as far as 8 to 10 feet between the dry and the nymph
    That sounds like a real joy to cast...

Of late, it's been a Renegade. Floats when I need it to, and it works well sunken if I decide to swing the rig.

My point fly is almost always a soft hackle or a midge pupa; I never use beadhead in such a rig.

Previously, a #14 parachute black ant with a hi-vis wing post has workd pretty well.
    Bob

Stimulator if there are caddis or stones or hoppers around. Elk hair caddis if there are caddis around and the dropper is light. Foam ant or beetle if you're in the woods and nothing is hatching. Daves Hopper, Henrys Fork Hopper, or Foam hopper if you're in a grassy area and nothing is hatching. Yellow humpy if there have been light-colored mayflies hatching recently. Badger bivisible if you're feeling old-fashioned. Other impressionistic hopper/stone/caddis imitators (Turck's Tarantula, Madam X, Sofa Pillow, etc.) work too. Also some of Gary Lafontaine's closed-cell foam patterns (Air Head, Cone, etc.) might be fun to try, although I've never done it.
    Last edited by moucheur; 04-24-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    This has been slowly become my favorite dropper rig top-fly. Tie it in colors to match whatever works best for your area. Floats like a cork, and it fishes well as a stand-alone fly also. All I tie these days are tungstens when I'm tying beadheads. Nothing huge for here mind you...max #12. But it floats them all just fine.

http://home.comcast.net/~rlonghunter/FBC.pdf

Ralph
    Nice tie Ralph. And thanks for the ref. files/photos.

Jeremy.

They're just fish, right? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    That sounds like a real joy to cast...
    Hi Chewydog, it is not as bad as you would think, I just open up the casting loop a little. Plus when I fish the Tongariro I am often fishing a long (sixteen to twenty feet+ leader) with two tungsten nymphs on the end, so a dry and one nymph is easier! The other thing is I do not use a dropper set up, I tie the tippet straight of the bend of the dry and this reduces tangles alot.
    All the best.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread