+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attractor Dries for Dry-Dropper Rigs

Hybrid View

Default Attractor Dries for Dry-Dropper Rigs

For those of you that fish dry - dropper rigs, any recommendations on what dries you've had success with over the years?

I'm looking for attractor patterns that are bouyant enough to float a tungsten beadhead nymph for a reasonable amount of time. Back East I've had days when they'd hit an Elk Hair Caddis and not touch a Humpy and out west I've had fish take a Chubby Chernobyl and stay away from a Bugmeister, but I'm sure there will be days when the reverse is true.

As I plan on trying to fish more dry - dropper rigs this year, I'd like to have ready several attractor patterns that I can try depending on various conditions, locations, time of year, hatches, etc.

Thanks.

Zonk

I'd think with tungsten, that you'd have to go with something in foam just due to practicality.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I'd think with tungsten, that you'd have to go with something in foam just due to practicality.
    I agree. Seems to be a tradeoff between floatability and realism for attractor dries.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
    I agree. Seems to be a tradeoff between floatability and realism for attractor dries.
    To me, realism in an attractor is a bit of an oxymoron. I use them to either provoke a strike (for whatever reason a fish feels provoked), or to suggest food in general as opposed to a specific bug. My choice for the application you're talking about, if not a hopper, would be a foam-backed convertible:

Floats like a cork and has been good to me when I'm trying to pound them up.

Regards,
    Scott

This has been slowly become my favorite dropper rig top-fly. Tie it in colors to match whatever works best for your area. Floats like a cork, and it fishes well as a stand-alone fly also. All I tie these days are tungstens when I'm tying beadheads. Nothing huge for here mind you...max #12. But it floats them all just fine.

http://home.comcast.net/~rlonghunter/FBC.pdf

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    This has been slowly become my favorite dropper rig top-fly. Tie it in colors to match whatever works best for your area. Floats like a cork, and it fishes well as a stand-alone fly also. All I tie these days are tungstens when I'm tying beadheads. Nothing huge for here mind you...max #12. But it floats them all just fine.

http://home.comcast.net/~rlonghunter/FBC.pdf

Ralph
    Nice tie Ralph. And thanks for the ref. files/photos.

Jeremy.

They're just fish, right? Right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Spun deer hair bodies might work. I like large (e.g. size 10) parachutes with oversized hackle, oversized even by parachute standards. I tie them to represent terrestrial spiders, like wolf spiders. I have caught bluegill in December on those parachutes, but more on the nymphs drifting underneath. I don't recall having used tunghead nymphs under them, but one could use foam for an underbody and wrap pheasant tail over the foam for the color and fuzz factor.

Ed

Most of the time when I fish a dropper its an emerger floating in or just under the film. If you're going to fish a nymph, then fish nymphs. Nymphs should be fished along the bottom, that's where fish find them. Once a nymph begins to ascend to the surface it's in a transitional stage and you wouldn't want a bead head on it anyway. If you must fish a tungsten bead head then a yellow or orange stimulator is a good choice as they float well and have the mass to hold the bead head.
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

I fish a dry/nymph combo most of the time and I use Tungsten bead head nymphs quite a bit. I use a Foam beetle or a Madam X sometimes but mostly I use an Elk hair caddis, great fly, easy to see and floats well. Many of our streams are quite deep and I might go as far as 8 to 10 feet between the dry and the nymph or in a riffle it might only be 2 feet.All the best.Mike

+ Reply to Thread