+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cheap Rod okay?

Default Cheap Rod okay?

Just bought a Zebco "Slab Seeker" 10' extra sensitive tip rod for $17.99.
    Seems exactly like tenkara rods I see online.
    Is there anything wrong with this type of rod for tenkara fishing at 1/10th the price of other rods?

If it had a reel seat and guides would you see anything wrong with using it for your flyfishing instead of your current rods?
    Tenkara Bum

Sorry, I was thinking of another rod. The slabseeker does have guides and rings for a reel. Is there any reason why you would not have purchased it for fly fishing instead of tenkara?

It so happens I have a Zebco 12' Slab Seeker that I bought before tenkara rods were available in the US. I just pulled it out and weighed it. It's not really a fair comparison, because it was broken during shipment when Cabela's sent it to me so I had to repair it, and the repair did add some weight, but as it stands, it weighs 8.2 ounces.

The cheapest 12' tenkara rod ($50) I've purchased weighs 3.3 ounces. You can guess which one I'd rather cast all day long. My favorite 12' tenkara rod weighs 2.6 ounces. With it I can cast 8 pound test fluorocarbon spinning line as if it was a fly line. Turns over a small wet fly beautifully and lands without a ripple on the water.

I'm sure your new, unbroken 10' Slabseeker weighs less than 8 ounces. I've got a sweet little 10' rod that I sell. It's not designed as a tenkara rod but it works very nicely as one (for smaller fish, that is). It weighs 2 ounces.

The Slabseeker is fiberglass, which not only makes it heavy, it makes it whippy. When you wiggle it and stop, it keeps wiggling for a long time. When you wiggle a tenkara rod, it stops wiggling right after you do.

I really don't mean to give you a hard time, but I am continually surprised that guys who would pay $300 for a fly rod without batting an eye (or $400 or $500) honestly ask if they can use a $20 rod for tenkara. A tenkara rod is just a technologically advanced as a fly rod, and is designed to do things a fly rod can't do, like cast a light fluorocarbon line, absorb the thrust and fight of a 20" rainbow, and still land it with 6x tippet without needing a reel and drag, not to mention being 12 feet long and weighing less than 3 ounces. Most of the ones for sale in the US go for about $150-170. OK so they don't have a reel seat and guides. Just how expensive are a reel seat and guides anyway?

I wouldn't mind so much if I saw people ask on fly fishing forums if they can use a $20 crappie rod for a fly rod but you never see that.

I guess I better actually answer your question. Yes, you can use your Zebco Slabseeker as a tenkara rod, but it won't be a very good one and it won't give you a very good understanding of what tenkara is all about. Seriously, it's like fly fishing with a spinning rod. Sure you can, but why would you want to?
    Last edited by CM_Stewart; 04-24-2012 at 12:37 AM.
    Tenkara Bum

For whatever reason, this reminds me of the time I lined up a 14' for 8/9 two handed spey rod with a DT3F line and fished size 16 dry flies with it. Kind of like swinging a buggy whip. Caught a half dozen or so 6-8" bows and brookies in short order, then put the reel on my 3 wt rod and had some fun.

I think the test might be, Bob, how light a 12' line / leader with a small fly can you cast comfortably and accurately for a sustained period of time ??

A Tenkara 13' Ayu will cast 20' of WF5F running line plus 12-15' of leader and tippet with a size 8 hopper with a bit of effort. But it will also cast a 12-15' furled line / leader with tippet and a small fly accurately and effortlessly for hours on end. The furled line / leader is roughly equivalent ( my best guess ) to a 9' 2X leader tipped progressively down to 5X.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CM_Stewart View Post
    Just how expensive are a reel seat and guides anyway?
    I do some you would have to sell 2 rods to pay for.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Yes, I have seen some that are works of art.

Custom fittings and custom rods are really another issue, though.

I should probably have just let it go.

There are all kinds of rods designed specifically for all kinds of purposes. In general, people would be best served by using a rod designed for the type of fishing they want to do.

If you want to cast heavy baits and lures, get a bait caster.
    If you want to cast light baits and lures, get a spinnig rod.
    If you want to fly fish (and make long casts or catch fish that will run) get a fly rod.
    If you want to fish tenkara, get a tenkara rod.
    Tenkara Bum

+ Reply to Thread