+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A WORD TO THE WISE - Ladyfisher - Apr 23, 2012

Blog Entries

Default A WORD TO THE WISE - Ladyfisher - Apr 23, 2012

A WORD TO THE WISE

It is warm enough in most places for most fly fishers to be setting out for the first real fishing of the year. We all have some ritual of sorts that goes with that introductory trip, certain things we take or flies we fish or even places which are the first to be fished. There are good memories in those things. Sometimes we are so revved up with the adventure at hand that we don't think about safety. Little things like always carrying water, (and drinking it) using sun screen so we don't fry exposed parts of our bodies in the unaccustomed sunlight. I'd also like to encourage you to be on the lookout for snakes, and most importantly, the venemous variety - Rattlesnakes. I know there aren't snakes everywhere, but if you happen to live or travel to a place where they are there are some things you should be aware of.

"Word To The Wise" snake bites can be prevented by being aware of the environment that you are currently in....

I live in Minnesota, and even in "The Frozen Tundra of the North" there are poisonous critters (not just rattle snakes) to be on the look-out for avoiding at all costs. Some people are allergic to bee and wasp stings, and as such should alway carry a automatic injector in case of being stung, and get to the nearest medical facility, or call 911 for help.

Know where the nearest hospital is from where you are planning on going fishing. Know how long it takes to get there, and know how to get there. It is a good idea to have a telephone number for calling for help (911), if the medical facility is too far from where you are.

It is also important all the dangers in the area where you are going fishing....

Wherever you go fishing remember, Prior planning can helps prevent emergencies from happening, or help reduce the traumatic effects of emergency.

Rattle snake rattle because they feel threaten by your presence, slowly back away and find a different route. They belong there, you don't!
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

My "home" trout stream has a good population of copperheads. With warmer weather on the way, I always look where I'm stepping or putting my hands, especially around rocks and fallen trees.

Regards,
    Scott

Every year I'm on the lookout for rattlesnakes. They are there. The neighbors have seen them and I've heard about snakes under woodpiles, lurking near cabins, crossing the driveways, hiding under overhanging rocks streamside, and visible here and there on the trails. I am cautious walking over to the stream and as I move through their territory I am aware that at some point I may meet up with a rattlesnake. Every year I'm on the lookout. I have not seen one yet but still they are there.
    Good reminder. Thanks.
    "I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening..."
    Norman Maclean: A River Runs Through It

+ Reply to Thread