+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CHOOSING THE RIGHT HOOK - EOTG - Apr 23, 2012

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default CHOOSING THE RIGHT HOOK - EOTG - Apr 23, 2012

CHOOSING THE RIGHT HOOK

Tying properly constructed dry flies is slightly more complex than putting a hook in the vise and being able to fashion the feathers and fur to the hook in a proper manner. Sometimes even well tied imitations fail because little or no thought was given to the hook model used, or how the imitation was to be fished, which included knowing the position of the rod tip at the time of the take. Sounds pretty involved, huh. Well it can be for those who want to maximize their effectiveness with dry fly imitations.

"Choosing The Right Hook", is a article that every angler should read and read many times, until it becomes 2nd nature when you are dressing fly patterns as well as when you are fly fishing....

There is another article in the archives of FAOL, "Hook Sizes and Fly Tying" by Richard Komar,which is a guide on selecting a proper hook size for a particular fly type, which goes hand-in-hand with "Choosing the Right Hook"... for all categories of fly fishing... http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...oksizetype.php

Both go hand in hand with each other...
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Another excellent article by Tom Travis.

Having said that, I've been thinking again lately about going the "pointless" hook route. Not actually removing the entire bend of the hook, but just clipping it off at the barb, leaving a blunt end to the hook

That stems from fly angling, for me, being more about the hunt than "playing" and landing fish. It certainly simplifies the catch and release thing - for an intentional long distance release just throw the fishy some slack and say bye-bye. And it certainly intensifies the challenge of landing a fish, if that becomes the goal, by requiring an extra measure of skill in keeping pressure on the fishy.

Thinking I will probably start with some "pointless" flies tomorrow and see how I like it ( assuming I find a willing fish to play along ).

John
    The fish are always right.

John, I have a friend in the UK who has taken it a step further/farther (?) he does clip the hook off at the bend and says the 'game' for him is getting the fish to strike - and in some cases the fish will still get the fly in their mouth. It does all depend on how you see the game.
    Last edited by LadyFisher; 04-30-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typo

When tying up some FEB salmonflies this morning for my outing this afternoon, I broke off one hook just above the barb before putting it in the vice.

The weather forecast for where I plan to fish is not so great for dry fly fishing, but here goes nothing .....

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

John,

Will you take a picture of one of these "point-less" flies and share it with us?
    Then you should try it out on Howard! Obviously, you need to ease up on that ole fellow.

Karli-Rae
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

+ Reply to Thread