+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EVENINGS ALONG THE STREAM (part 5) - EOTG - Apr 23, 2012

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default EVENINGS ALONG THE STREAM (part 5) - EOTG - Apr 23, 2012

EVENINGS ALONG THE STREAM (part 5)

June 26th, was to provide us with a normal PMD Hatch that occurred at the normal time, however the spinner fall would provide some valuable lessons and it is those lesson which I will now share with you in the form of a fly fishing puzzle.

A fitting conclusion to a very interesting series of articles. Well done, Tom.

I do have a question regarding tying the spent wings refered to near the end of the article. If anyone can jump in here with a clarification, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks, Tom, for the series, and thanks in advance to anyone who can help out on my question.

John
    The fish are always right.

John,

Which flies are you interested in? I can ask Tom for specifics when he gets home here in Livignston. He is currently tying at the Southeast Conclave and then he will be headed for home.

I'm glad you are enjoying the series. There are several more installments yet to go.

Neil

Neil -

This is from Tom's article. Just not clear on the bold description of tying the wings.

"Pale Morning Dun Wet Spinner Style Two
    • Hook: TMC 101
    • Sizes: 16-20
    • Thread: Rusty or Sandy Dun 8/0 or 12/0
    • Tails: Lite Dun wet hen hackles, tied long
    • Abdomen: PMD Turkey Biot, wrapped
    • Wings: Lite Dun wet hen hackle, wrapped in the wing position and then the fibers are gathered into two bundles on either side in the spent position and posted: which is done by wrapping thread around the base of each wing. I use one size larger hackle for this type of imitation so that the wings will be the proper size.
    • Thorax: Dubbed, with muskrat or beaver fur, dyed PMD
    Note: The posting of the wings keeps them from folding back along the body, thus ensuring the proper silhouette of the spinner that is barely sunk beneath the film. "

I posted this on the Fly Tying Forum and have a couple responses, one of which sounded pretty much like I interpretted Tom's technique, but I would like to hear from Tom when he has a chance.

John

P.S. Please tell Tom that I am one of his real fans. His contributions to the FAOL "weekly" editions have always been one of the highlights for me.
    The fish are always right.

John,

Tom's expected in town later this week and as soon as I have a chance I will get a response for you. I will pass on your kind words as well.

Neil

John,

Tom got in today and stopped by this evening so I asked him your question. The hackle is wrapped and then it is divided into two bundles, like you would tie a hackle-winged spinner dry fly, figured eight wrapped to seperate the wings and then you wrap your thread around the base of each wing, like you would on the post of a parachute pattern. This stiffens the wing and keeps it from folding flat back aganist the body of the fly when its being fished.

Hope this helps. Tom said he had images of those patterns if that would help.

Neil

+ Reply to Thread