+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Nymphers"

Default "Nymphers"

"The most effective technique is with nymphs". "90% of the time, trout feed for insects on the bottom". The classic phrases when we talk about trout streams are the truth
    I have a problem...I am a dry fly guy...those little things dancing on the surface film waiting for an explosive rise are like a drug
    I have some envy for those guys that are nymph-effective flyfishers. My nymphs are wet in the river is just 10% of the time.
    I think I need a rehab!!
    R.

Real fly fishermen don't use nymphs...

Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 04-20-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Tongue in cheek of course.. .... :)
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

If your purpose is to catch fish then use bait. It works better much of the time. If your purpose is to enjoy yourself then what could possibly be better than fishing dry flies? If the fish completely convince you that they will never come up for a dry, then you have a decision.
    David

Last edited by randyflycaster; 04-20-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Sometimes I get angry when I hear of people perceiving us fly fishers as elitist snobs. Other times I realize why.

after many years as a dry or die trout fisherman, i realized as i was getting older that the whole thing was about catching fish, my first love is difficult fish on tiny flies, but all in all its about catching fish, streamers, nymphs ,midges or dries. whatever is working i am doing it. i only got so many days left and half of those would be gone if i was waiting for a hatch that may or may not happen. just fish.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

I rarely throw a dry. Only if it is a last resort. I really do like catching fish, thus, I nymph. I like nymphing but I dont think I would put down dry fly fishing, like the first comment to this thread. "Real fly fishermen don't use nymphs".

I can imagine where people get the idea we are elitist snobs.

Quote Originally Posted by John_N View Post
    Sometimes I get angry when I hear of people perceiving us fly fishers as elitist snobs. Other times I realize why.
    I never get angry at that. Most Fly Fishers are. I just refuse to be...which is why I use a red and white bobber as an indicator, keep fish if legal and I want to eat them (on a metal stringer), show non-ffers how to fish if they want to, and protest whenever I can if FFers want to close a stream to the "regular" fishing almost all of us started out doing.

And, oh yeah, I can't nymph to save my life. Have no idea what I am doing wrong, but the only fish I catch on nymphs are the suicidal ones.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I fish dries for trout just about all the time. No arguing that nymphs, streamers, etc are effective but I giggle like a kid even when I get a refusal on a dry; it's all just for fun folks.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
    "90% of the time, trout feed for insects on the bottom". The classic phrases when we talk about trout streams are the truth
    Not quite. The 90% number is quoted as the amount of time that fish feed sub-surface; not necessarily on bottom. If you learn to enjoy wet flies and streamers, you'll catch a lot of fish in between the surface and the bottom, without resorting to what most people think of a "nymphing." I have nothing against nymphing, but it's my least favorite way to fish, and usually, on my home stream, unnecessary. You're going to not catch fish fairly often if you insist on using only dry flies, though.
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread