+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Winston WT and the long and short of it.

Default A Winston WT and the long and short of it.

I recently came across a brand spanking new (but no longer made) Winston WT 903-3 that the dealer will sell to me for $350. He simply hasn't been able to sell it and says that everyone wants something shorter especially in a 3 weight. I've also been reading a lot of "stuff" lately and combined with the dealer's comments a thought occurred to me. (A rare thing in and of itself I know.)

Even I, the clueless one, know that a small movement at the base of a rod creates a much larger movement at the tip of the rod. So could what I (and this dealer) percieve to be a general trend toward shorter rod lengths and faster actions be because in years past it simply required a longer "lever" to achieve the same power (ie. line speed) than it does with today's "faster" actions?

I'd be interested in reading any of your thoughts on the matter. And if any one has any experience with the above mentioned rod, I'd like to know what you think of it.

------------------
    The smarter I get the less I know.

The 903-3 WT is a good rod. Sometimes I wish my 3wt WT was a 9 footer for help in mending versus my 7-1/2 footer.

The WT rods are not fast and at 9' long, I think is considered a medium rod.

If your casting stroke works well with the WT, you may never go to another rod.

I would jump on it before it's gone.

mgj

Zach makes some good points. The difference in distance I can cast a 8' compared to a 9' 3 wt is negligable. However considering the structure of the brush may be low a 9' rod may keep your backcast above the foilage better than a shorter rod.
    If I were in your position and needed a 3 wt I would buy the rod.
    If indeed a 3 wt is for little fish (a subject for another thread)the added lever given to the little fish sure makes catching um on a longer rod exciting.

generally speaking a longer rod for lesser line weight often means a "slower" rod. i love slower more medium rods! i'd buy it! i don't care at all for fast rods. the extra length in the rod will help with mending on longer casts. and if your going to be in a float tube/pontoon the extra length will keep the line off the water on your back cast. i don't have a 3wt so if you don't buy it let me know.

Thanks for the input so far, and sorry Boo but I'll be picking the rod up on the 4th. Until then it's safely "sold and on hold". If I don't like it (which I doubt will happen) I'll let you know. And for the record I am a slow - medium action lover and can't wait to get my first Bamboo.

In an effort to maybe further clarify my thought/question... Do you think the "fast" actions rods manufactured today, prompt us (the consumers) to also go shorter, because we are able to cast the distances we desire with a shorter faster rod. While a slower action rod (of yester-year) wasn't as easily cast the same distances without also being longer?

I'm speaking in generalities here, regarding my perception of the general trend in manufacturing and sales. Not the ability (or lack there of) of any one individual.

Don't know if that helps, but there it is none-the-less.

I would suggest buying the rod. I have 4 3wgt rods and only one is less than 9' and it is an 8 footer. I have the same rod you are looking at. I guided the Missouri and the Bighorn and many of the spring creeks here in Montana and I have used a 9' rod most of that time. It allows me to keep higher back casts And also lets you keep more line off the water on the smaller streams. I think that you will find in the west that 9 foot rods will be of more advantage to you than a short rod. Just an opinion. Ron

I built two 6 ft 3 weights to fish this year. My decision to go with a 6 ft came when I took my 9ft 5 piece rod and tried casting with 4 sections then three then two finally with the tip only. I found that with 3 sections or roughly 6 feet I lost only 10-15 ft of distance which still put me in the ballpark in distance for where I fish.

I still plan on building a 9 or even a 10ft 3wt if I can find a blank that long. Long rods are valuable when fishing ponds from a canoe, getting the line off the water... FB.

I'm surprised no one has asked what you're going to use it for. This 3wt question comes up a lot (I asked it a few months ago). I agree with Zach in that 3 wts are usually for small waters; however I've heard some folks say 3wts are also useful where you need longer delicate casts, hence a longer rod. I say for these instances just use a 4 or 5 wt. and if not then you're getting into specialties.

So what are you gonna use it for?

I'm not sure why this post is/was so unclear, but my question has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not I should buy the rod, what I should use it for, or even 3 weights. I had decided to purchase the rod long before ever posting this thread, and have the rod "layawayed" until April 4, 2005 at which time I will be picking it up. The rod was simply the impetus for the thought, and hence the question.

My question relates to my (and the dealer's) perceived trend in consumers going to shorter, faster rods. I simply wondered if anyone out there could shed some light on the reason for this. My thought being that one possible reason had to do with the current ability of an average fisherman/woman to attain line speeds with today's faster action rods that may not have been as easily accomplished in yester-year's time without also using a longer rod. It was only a passing idea that I thought might make for an interesting thread/dialogue by those who have some knowledge on the subject, because I certainly don't.

Regardless of my in-ability to articulate this question clearly, thanks to everyone for the previous input. The rod is definately being purchased by me, and I fully intend on seeing how I get along with it on a variety waters.

------------------
    The smarter I get the less I know.

+ Reply to Thread