I'm not sure as to where to even post this, but it is important to me that I share my experience. I believe it means something vastly different to everyone who enjoys wetting their line. For me though it has been a long journey to find a feeling of peace that is found in fly fishing. Growing up there were ample opportunities for me to learn to fly fish as a small creek ran along the end of my families pasture, and my grandpa was a very skilled fly fisherman and tier. I remember watching him come over and head to the stream with his pole and come back with dinner, but I was to engrossed in my own endevours to ever sit down and learn from him.

That choice and decision is one I grew to dispise and feel guilty about. I knew him and loved him so much, but was for some reason unable to connect with him like some of my cousins did. While I was still very young he left this world and returned to the Almighty Creator. I regreted not spending the time with him and having the bond that I felt my other cousins had. I never got to say good bye to him before he left.

As many years had passed and I grew from a child and young man to an adult my perspective began to change as did the things I did for enjoyment, partly due because of time. I am glad it did however and that my new father in law bought me my first fly rod in hopes that we would have something to connect with and bond as well. From then on a fascination and love of fly fishing has been fueled with such passion that it continues to grow.

With time passing by and my learning experiences beconming more vast in numbers I found a connection I wasn't prepared for. In what begin as a way to connect with my father in law now took on a differant meaning. I was finding myself connecting with nature and my surroundings in a way I had never before known, but most importantly for me my grandpa even after his passing away. I found a connection with him through fly fishing which he loved so dearly, and a sense of peace that had left me so many years before.

Every time I step out next to the water getting ready to present my fly his presence is felt, and I feel his hand on my shoulder with a smile on his face telling me "Good job son." This is what it has meant and continues to mean to me. I will forever now be able to have the connection to one of the greatest men I ever knew that I thought was once gone.

Brandon

p.s. Sorry if this is the wrong place, or out of line.