Received the new Elkhorn Monday and finally got a chance to really look at it today!

First impressions are important things in life and I got some great ones!!
First of all, when JC sent it to me, he put it in a piece of 2" PVC pipe. The rod case fits perfectly in the pipe and is well protected during shipment.Thanks JC!!
The cap on the rod case comes into view first and it is very nicely done. Good solid brass, I think, that is threaded very well and tight. The cap is fitted perfectly to the case; another well done touch there.
Bringing the rod out of the case, one is impressed with the rod bag the rod is stored in. Since I'm always in uniform on duty, this really caught my eye. It is like starched and ironed kahki and once again, well done. No extra threads or anything hanging from the fabric, just a sharp looking outfit.
Now the rod!! OH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!
This is not the first "boo rod I have handled and I have studied the building of bamboo rods for several years. A bamboo rod is an engineering masterpiece, IMHO, and this one is right there too. No glue lines, the barely visible nodes are properly placed, and the light colored finish is perfect! Just look at the burl in the reel seat and those silver rings!! QUALITY ALL THE WAY!!!!!
I build custom 1911's and spend a good amount of time with calipers in my hands so I measured the rod in several places.TOTAL UNIFORMITY!!! A smooth taper throughout the length of the rod which will carry the stress right on down into the butt of the rod when fighting a good fish. Great balance! Love that slow rythmnic action. I've been building glass and graphite rods for over twenty years and will have to slow down my cast and let the "Big Thompson" do all the work. The thread work is excellent and the calipers reveal, once again, total uniformity in the length of the guide wraps. The wraps are beautifully, simply, elegant, befitting the masterpiece that a well made cane rod is.
My girls will be purchasing the Elkhorn Classic reel, for Fathers Day, to complement this rod. Through the fifty six years of my life, I have learned that it costs more to go less than first class. The Elkhorn Company has the reels that will fit and compliment their rods and there won't be any guessing or wondering if the reel feet are too thick to fit the reel seat, etc., so that is the way I'm going on this Legendary rod.
I have cast the SYLK lines with John Channer, a builder of fine "boo rods, and love how the silk line "whispers" as it goes through the air as opposed to the louder "swish" that the plastic lines make. Cortland doesn't make any junk in their products, so I know the SYLK line will be a perfect match.

Thanks Elkhorn and all the FAOL sponsors!!!
Thanks Ladyfisher and JC!!!!

Jack Hise and REE; Don't ya love it??

Andy

------------------
all types of fishermen must pull together for the good of all!!!

[This message has been edited by buttermilk (edited 07 June 2006).]