+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bombs Away!

Default Bombs Away!

I actually got a little free time Easter weekend to get out on the water by myself for a change. No kids in tow- although I love taking them, No guiding so to speak or not having to put people on fish. Just simply getting out and enjoying what God created.

I spent several nights tying up Stealth Bombers in various colors on a size 4 hook thinking I might be able to keep the bream off. I can honestly say this was my first time to fish the bombers for my prized brown fish.

Glad I tied them. Just about couldn't keep the fish off of it, including some good bream. A great Saturday afternoon dropping bombs on a little creek.

First of the day...dang thing swallowed the Bomber so much for the size 4 hook keeping the bream off...

Then I made a rookie mistake. It had been so long since I had been on the water by myself. I made two false casts let the fly settle and a bomb went off upstream. Rookie mistake #1...ALABAMA HOOK SET!
    Crack...I hear the rod tip snap on my brand new 4pc 5wt just above the ferrel of the tip section. NOT HAPPY
    Rookie mistake #2...Left the big rods at the house.
    So I load up the 4wt 4pc. And start over.

Second Fish, technically the 3rd but seeing as how I lost the 2nd fish after the rod tip shoved the fly out of his mouth during the fight I can't show pics of the 4lb smallie that was on the line.

So on it went like this for about 2 hours Just me and this little creek I love so much.

Da Bomber...

Another one of these...

All colored up!

Then another one

And another...

Then things went quiet...very few strikes very few takers. Then a horrid smell...What the heck is that? OH man....Did I just cut the line with my teeth again. MENTAL NOTE: Never put line in mouth again...I don't know what is upstream!

I took a picture not sure why...but decided for those of you who have a weak stomach not to post up the graphic image of the BLOATED DEAD COW in the creek.

Upstream about 1 mile.

Caught a few more small fish and a few more bream on the size 4 hook before the sun started setting in behind the trees. It was time to call it a day.
    I hooked likely as many as I caught and lost a few nice fish that worked their way off on rocks and moss.

Rookie mistake #3 - I did not re-tie after about 6 fish. Had one break off on the initial strip set that looked like a really nice fish as it began a personal interview/acrobatic performance for the Ringling Brothers circus trying to remove the now stuck stealth bomber.
    Went home tied up more Stealth Bombers and plan on getting out again soon.

Thanks for sticking with me on this long post.
    ~~~waders~~~
    Last edited by Waders; 04-17-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Great post. Glad you got out and had fun.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Thank's for the post Wade. Look forward to your presentation Thursday night.

knucks

Knucks- U R Welcome.
    Look forward to sharing what I know at the TVFF meeting. Sad to say I have been away too long.
    I have to ask...does Knucks = Canadian ? One of my closest friends is from Nova Scotia.

Quote Originally Posted by Waders View Post
    All colored up!

Those are some nice Smallies for sure! I LOVE that sunfish, though...awesome colors! We don't have those around here.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Awesome!!! I am very jealous of those smallies....
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Wade,

Glad you got out and had time to yourself. It looks like a great time was had! I would love to get into a bunch of those smallies! I took a disabled vet out today to a private lake on one of the horse ranches close to Shelbyville today and we caught 54 bluegill. All were around 7 to 8 inches. He had a great time and that was what I wanted. My time with him will be limited due to a health problem he has, but, as long as he is able to go, I will be taking him.

Wade, we really need to fish together sometime to put a smile on Sam's face.....

Really glad you got out and had a great time.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Word of warning....many years ago the late JC and I had been rock climbing down Paradise Valley south of Livingston. Hot day, crossed a small creek on the way back to the pick-up, stopped for a nice drink. Next day we were both in the Emergency Room with really bad cramps, diarrhea and vomiting. Giardia. About 10 days later we went back to the creek and hiked up-stream because we really wanted to know. In the creek a large, very bloated, very dead, extremely smelly cow. From then on we always carried water or GatorAid in the truck.

Wade knucks is short for knucklehead.

knucks

+ Reply to Thread