+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roscoe Fish-IN

Default Roscoe Fish-IN

It was a great time. The week's catching started off slow but picked up considerably. Lots of folks caught very respectable trout. There were more than several 16 to 18 inch fish landed and a few "one that got away stories." I'll let all the anglers tell their own tales though. As they get home I'm sure that they will ad them to this post.

The cookout was wonderful. Steaks were big and delicious. Thanks! Allan. Everyone got to try out Lou's John Deere rod after dinner.

We found a passed away deer lying in the Willowemoc. Les, Monty, Slic, Jerry and I tried for several hours to catch the trout that got the deer. We were not successful. Probably a good thing though as it would be a heck of a trout, and a tough one to handle on a 4 wt.

I got to fish Slic's Elfin...man what a nice rod. Thanks Slic!!!

My friend Jerry landed a sucker on a dry fly...were we surprised. I'm guessing about 4 lbs. We have a photo.

Every bug that was supposed to be hatching was hatching. Some days the fish were on them and some days it was tough fishing even though there were bugs on the water.

Evenings were best IMHO. One night Jerry and I fished so late that we sort off got lost coming off the river. Monty and Tony were waiting for us at the cars though so if we didn't show I'm sure they would have called for help. Or just assumed that the trout that got the deer got us and split up our stuff.

My best fly was a comparadun, size 10, 2x long, light yellow body, deer hair wings. It's chewed to pieces. So was Jerry's.

Charlie

bump

I was in Roscoe the 2nd thru the 4th on a fishing trip with my dad but didn't attend the FAOL festivities. Maybe next year we will join in, we needed a little help with the area and flies. We did okay despite the weather. Friday evening when we started fishing it was raining allot and we caught nothing. On Saturday things picked up in the afternoon and I caught several nice fish 2 of them in the 16 inch range. My dad also caught 2 fish right in a row both were his first trout on a fly. Sunday on our way out was a bit slow. I caught 3 more but all of them came off the hook. We stuck to the main (famous) pools and probably would have found some better places with the FAOL guidance. We also caught all our fish on dries. I couldn't catch anything on nymphs which is strange because I usually catch most of my fish under. Any ideas what was working (and size). The other problem I think I had was my dries were too small. Where I fish in upstate NY i usually can't tie the fies small enough. At the Beaver I didn't have any flies as big as the bugs I saw! Thinks I will keep in mind for next year.

------------------
    [url=http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com:f5b1b]http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com[/url:f5b1b]

green drakes size 8; coffen flies size 8 or 10...; march browns size 10; sulphures size 14-16...parchute midges size 26; gnats size 24

------------------
    The more time I spend around people the more I like my dog.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread