Just a note on NC trout/fly fishing.. On April 11th-12th on our way to Charlotte from SW Pennsylvania we stopped over at a B&B near Sparta, NC which is just below the Virginia/North Carolina border and in the Blue Ridge Mountains.. Pre trip I Googled the area for trout fishing and came up with Stone Mountain State Park and what appeared to be some decent fly fishing streams within the park (C&R only prior to June).. WOW... Had my pick of any number of pools and riffles with very few other anglers... Obviously all stockies but they were there in good numbers... Water somewhat low and crystal clear but did well below the surface on ANYTHING black and mid sized.. Could only fish for two hours but would have loved to check out the other streams designated as "wild" and requiring a hike upstream... I will defenitely go back again and next time for more than a few hours..

Stone Mountain is about 1/2 hr off I-77 at Elkin, NC heading NW on SR 21 toward Roaring Gap and Sparta... It was about 2 hrs plus to Charlotte from Stone Mountain...

FAS