Thread: Waihou Stream

Threaded View

Default Waihou Stream

Hi,

Well, it's been a long time since I've had anything to report, but now that Gregor is 7 months old we took the opportunity to spend a few days out of the city at a Farmstay cottage, which is on the Waihou Stream near Tirau. The Waihou is one of the streams used in the World Championships when it's held in New Zealand. It has a much higher density of fish than many rivers here, with, as you can expect, the result being the fish are smaller than in most other places. Fish and Game want people to keep more little fish, hoping it will increase the average size, so there's no limit on fish under 30 cm (12 inches) and a limit of 2 fish over that. Although one might think this would lead to greed, this has been the limits for years and really, it's suprisingly underfished. Mind you, it's only about 40 minutes from Rotorua, where there are large number of big fish, and not overly far to Taupo, which is another trout destination, so few people stop to fish for the wee ones.

Still, the Waihou is one of my favoriate streams to fish. It's a spring creek and runs very clear up this end. It does discolour further down stream, but here and up it is gin clear. It doesn't run very wide, though you can't step across it, but it is very deep and the current very strong. Here's a couple shots of the river as you walk in:

After arriving and unpacking the car, I took a walk down and explored a bit further than I have before. I picked up a fairly standard Waihou fish (around 22 cm) on a size 10 pheasant tail and ringneck pheasant brown church window feather spider, which I think they might have been taking as a crane fly as it was quite a bit bigger than the mayflies I saw around. This was to be the most productive fly of the trip, and though I stopped counting, I know I got at least 8 on this one. I also took 4 on a size 14 Pritt's Partridge and Blue, tied as Donald has suggested using UniThread Light blue. I took a couple more on a size 14 fox squirrle and partridge spider too. I got one on a size 10 parmachene belle, and a few hits on a teal, blue, and silver. Basically, although the majority were on brown spiders of some sort, they were not overly fussy. Anyway, here's my first fish of the trip:

Speaking of first fish, Genesta caught her first fish on her rod (which I got her for Christmas). It's a casting rod which we put a bubble float on and tied on a small Professor spider. This was nice, and she would often come back to asking me why her rod would bend when the fish was on it. She was worried it was going to break!

Although a bit of a long shot, this is when we were landing and about to release her fish.

Vanessa took a turn as well, and she was quickly into a trout from about the same spot Genesta got hers.

Here's a couple more stream shots.

Anyway, there were a fair number of size 14 brown mayflies in the air. I figured the fish were feeding on them as there were a few splashy rises. I had been trying some size 16 spiders, and though I did get a couple touches, nothing definate. Size 14 was taking fish, but as I say, it was the much larger pattern that was the most reliable producer. There were a lot of crane flies around the cottage, so perhaps there were some on the river, though I didn't see any. Still, the weather was great and the fish were willing to play. I had my 3 weight out and it is the perfect rod for this stream. It's quite common to put very heavy nymphs on to get down to where the fish are feeding, but I like to flick out my spiders on this stream as there are always a few willing to come up and play and it's just a very nice quite way to fish.

All the best.

- Jeff
    Last edited by JeffHamm; 04-11-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: correct the pattern: wasn't chuckor, but the brown church window feather from a ringneck pheasant.
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.