Thanks all!

Jim, the farm stay we stayed at wasn't far from where you stayed last time. If you do decide to come again, I can put you in touch with these people. Across the road is a honey shop and small private museum, and it's not far from a small community (lots of good cafes and eateries, with some nice antique shops, book stores, etc). And, it's only 50 km (30 miles) from Rotorua (hot pools, and there's some very large fish there). It's also at the fork in the road that takes you to Taupo, another trout denstination that people come to NZ for.

Hey Grubb,

Wonderful way to travel, this board! I've fished so many parts of the world by it.

Hi John!

Yah, I find flicking out the wee wets very relaxing. They can be quite productive too. The world champs all tend to nymph close, stand in the water, and just drift a really heavy "sinker fly" with the small catcher behind. Drift isn't quite the right word, it's more dredging, and they do catch a lot more fish that way - one fellow pulled out 40 during his one (or two?) hour slot. It's work, though, and I could do better with a net across the stream in less time. The "best" method is not measured by fish alone. Anyway, I had no luck fishing them upstream, all were taken after the fly was at least level with me, and most on the downstream drift and swing. I think the rising action at the end of the drift was triggering the take.

- Jeff