+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you get this TV channel?

Default Do you get this TV channel?

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/t...y-fishing.aspx It looks like Orvis may be doing something really great - BUT I can't see the shows either here in Arizona nor at home in Montana, the channel isn't offered. Do you get it? Have you seen this show? What do you think about it?

We can get that channel through satelite here in Ontario Canada. Same as a lot of sport or fishing networks. You get some really good people doing their thing and you get the generic highly sponsored guys doing their thing. Some of them are good too. I haven't seen enough to be familiar with the fly fishing people but what I did see for the most part is very informative. Seems as tho they are truly trying to teach something rather than endorse a product. I would say if you can get it, it is worth giving a look see.

I have Dish and get that channel. Tuesday night has fly fishing programs and Orvis is the primary sponsor of the two hour block. Tom Rosenbauer from Orvis is the primary force behnind this show and IMHO has done a nice job. The primary target is introducing fly fishing to people who don't fly fish and may not have given it much thought. In the first show, Tom worked with a couple of small kids at a pond catching bass using a spin casting rod with a grass hopper under a bobber. He then tied on a hopper pattern below the bobber(still using the spin caster) and had them reel in very slow and the bass came up and took the hopper. He then switched them to a fly rod with a hopper and they were catching bass. It was pretty evident that these kids did not have any fly fishing experience, which is what I think he wanted to get across to the viewing audience. The next episode was on bass fishing both large and smallmouth and then northern pike was the third. I think this has been well thought out.

Along with the podcasts that Tom does I think Orvis is putting a great deal of effort and time in introducing people to fly fishing. Which is good for our sport.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Yes,
    Here in Eastern WA, we get it on Dish Network, channel 394.
    We have been getting it for quite some time now. Some of the shows are very good.

Denny

I looked on their site. Apparently DISH is the only provider in CO. They encourage you to contact DirecTV and the local cables to start carrying it.

Brad

We get it on Dish here as well. Tom Rosenbauer is doing a great job of making a step by step intro to fly fishing and keeping it intertaining for those of us who have been doing this for a while. (Besides, you can always learn something if you keep an open mind!)

We don't get it here in Eastern Washington on Direct TV. I did go to their link to petition Direct TV to include in their sport package that low income people can afford.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

You can also see some of the espisodes here:http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Saw this show for first time on Tuesday. Not blown away but was pleasantly surprised. Seeing others simply catch fish for a half hour gets real old real fast. The instructing during the show was basic but major league ballplayers take ground balls every day, right?! I'm no expert and will tend to watch a show like this when there's something of value to watch...which there was. At least a couple weeks ago when we signed up with Dish, we had to purchase the "sportsman's package" upgrade in order to get the channel this show was on. Worth the 4 or 5 bucks a month. DVR is set for next Tuesday already.
    Grassman

+ Reply to Thread