I doubt Cabelas would be doing this if they didnt think it would help their bottom line. And I am certainly familiar with locales where the opening of a Cabelas, Bass Pro, Scheels, etc has hurt local small fishing tackle and hunting oriented shops. I also love to give my business to the small shop. But the nature of the business has changed significantly since the growth of internet sales from all sources and the evolution of retails sales and consumer purchasing habits continues to make it more and more difficult for the small retailer to succeed. For a long time I lamented the growth and expansion of the the mega retailers.

However, the percentage of anglers and hunters with respect to the total population continues to decrease. Here in California, our rights to hunt and fish are under assault with numerous organizations working to eliminate our ability to pursue these pastimes a bit at a time. A number of prime waters in California have been lost of the last couple of years, stocking programs have been challenged and suspended, and some organizations are working to get into law requirements to eliminate non-native species (largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, striped bass, most catfish species, bluegill, crappie, brown trout and so on). Some organizations are also working to codify into law changes into requirements to satisfy endanged species acts that would adversely affect native salmonids. At this point I am starting to be more supportive of any activities that might increase the numbers of anglers and hunters and thus bring more support into the fight to preserve hunting and fishing as a recreational pastime and preserve the the associated jobs, of which includes not only fly shop employees, but also workers at all manor of sporting goods stores, bait shops, boat and marine shops, dock workers, park rangers, tackle manufacturers, guides, lodge, hotel, and food services workers.