+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Materials Substitution

Hybrid View

Default Materials Substitution

I am hoping to start this thread with getting suggestions for material substitutions as I it so often happens that an order is made for a desperately need fly tying material only to find out you've either run out or the order you placed is on back order with no specifc time of delivery.

This weekend I needed black chenille and I found good old common black yarn to fit the bill.

I don't have very many colors of bucktail...so I sometimes substitute Craft Fur in some patterns. Craft Fur moves better in the water, but sometimes you actually WANT the stiffer properties of the bucktail...so it isn't always the best solution, but it works in a pinch.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

AlanB Guest

A classic one. Water hen covert feathers can be substituted with Jackdaw scalp.
    What I would like to know is has anyone used a substitute and found it improved a fly beyond the original material?
    Cheers,
    A.

IMO the fly pattern books are already full of examples of substitutions - that's why there are so many patterns, and also why I don't make a fuss about following them too closely any longer. Re. the woolly bugger example above: black wool would work as you say. So would dark green or brown wool or chenille, or black phentex (wrapped or chopped and spun in a dubbing loop), as would any dark fur dubbed (or in a dubbing rope), etc., etc.
    When I was younger I was mystified by all the patterns for PED or PMD shown in the books. How would I know which one was RIGHT? Then I realized they are all right, the guy in Maine used bleached rabbit for the body, and the tier in PA used yellow biots, the one in New York wrapped yellow mallard flank and the one with no money just used yellow thread, while someone else used blond hair from his dog, etc., etc. They were just doing their best with what they had (or what they thought worked best) to copy the same bug in time to go fishing. And because fish are both fussy, opportunistic, and programmed yet not too smart, the flies caught fish and thus became popular with fishermen, and someone published an article, or sold some in a well-known shop. The tying ideas/experiments became "PATTERNS"
    At one time Hardy had the corner on the materials market and had all the best feathers. Eastern Maritime and Newfoundland fishers couldn't afford any of it, but they had lots of bears – thus the development of hair wing salmon flies - and they work.
    Sing along, "You say Flashabou and I say Krystal Flash; you say Sili Legs and I say Bungee Cord; you say Thin Skin and I say Electrician’s Tape – let’s call the whole thing off". Was that Sarah V or Ella F.?
    I think any substitution is acceptable if one pays attention to size, proportion, colour, reflective/translucent properties, movement/softness, and so on. If you have a good idea of the bug you are imitating, and are happy with your approximation - the only difference between it and other "Patterns" is yours isn't in a book.
    My $.02, , Greg
    Last edited by Greg H; 04-09-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Before substituting an item in a fly recipe, you need to determine if the item is a key trigger for that fly. For example, substituting black yarn for black cheniile in the wooly bugger is OK but would the fly work as well if you substituted buck tail for the marabou? Probably not.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I wrote out some of my thoughts on this a while back: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/fotw...tw20111024.php
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread