+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Rod

Hybrid View

Default New Rod

I am looking at getting a new Tenkara Rod. I already have the TUSA Amago. I want a longer rod since I mainly fish lakes. The options I have found are the Daiwa LT44SF at 14.5', TUSA Ito at 14.7', or the Kasugo 4509 at 15'. These are listed by price high to low. I was looking for recommendations on which rod to get. If you think another rod fits the bill please let me know. Thanks.

Mike P.

I can't comment on the Kasugo, as I have not fished any Kasugo rods, but the Daiwa LT44SF and the Tenkara USA Ito are apples and oranges. The Daiwa is a seriously stiff rod - think big water, big fish. The Ito is long and soft - soft enough that the #1 item on T-USA customer wish list seems to be a stiffer Ito. Personally, I like soft rods and I like the Ito, but a lot of people seem to wish it was stiffer. Another rod to consider would be the Shimano Mainstream ZE - which essentially is a stiffer Ito. It's also almost twice the price of an Ito (a bit more than the Daiwa). Other than perhaps the Kasugo, none of the rods mentioned has an action much like the Amago. The Daiwa and Shimano are both stiffer and the Ito is softer. I don't carry the Shimano, but if that many people want a stiffer Ito perhaps I should.
    Tenkara Bum

Mike -

I'm just curious why you want a longer rod, instead of perhaps casting a longer line ??

With my TenkaraUSA Ayu, I have fished about 30 feet of line, in the form of 20' of the running line from a WF5F fly line plus a 10' Tenkara line / leader plus tippet. ( If you go through the "sticky" Tenkara thread at the top of this Forum, you will find several posts on this approach. )

The problems with that set up are that you can only fish the "outer reaches" of your maximum casting distance and you do have to do quite a bit of hand lining to land a fishy.

Just an idea as an alternative to buying a new, longer rod.

John
    The fish are always right.

John,

I actually have a couple lengths of line made from the running line of a WF4F line that I use. The hand lining while fishing from a kayak is my main concern. Plus you can only fish a part of the cast as you stated. When You have a line near the same length as the rod you can fish the whole length of the cast. When bank fishing the longer line also becomes a pain to cast since it is a fixed length. The only experience I have is fishing with the Amago, when it comes to Tenkara. I figured I could use another rod or two as back ups or to let the wife use when she decides to come fishing with me.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1971 View Post
    .... I figured I could use another rod or two as back ups or to let the wife use when she decides to come fishing with me.

Mike
    Yep - even if those other reasons were not good enough, this one is, for sure.

John
    The fish are always right.

I have both the Ito and the Kasugo 4509. I have had some issues with the Kasugo with tip breakage as the tip is very delicate but, on the good side it feels a little lighter in the hand than the ito. The Ito has a noticeably stronger and stiffer tip. It feels a bit heavier in the hand when extended full length but if that start to bother you it is possible to fish it as a 13 footer.

+ Reply to Thread