+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started

Default Getting Started

I am wanting to get started in this but am looking to get some help in starting. Could anyone make any recomendations for me on which rods I should look at. I fish alot of small streams here in South East Idaho located around the Henrys Fork and South Fork of the Snake River. I love my 3wt for this, so if anyone could give me any recomendations on rod types, length, and anything else I need to know. I am on a budget so price is important in this matter. I look forward to hearing from everyone to help me get started.

Brandon

Lightbulb Not on the low end ...

... pricewise, but I really like the TenkaraUSA Ayu. It is a 13' slow action rod that might seem a bit heavy compared to some other models, but it casts effortlessly. It definitely feels lighter in hand than my 12' Iwana, which is lighter by the scale, but which takes more effort to fish. I've used the Ayu for everything from heavily weighted stonefly nymphs ( not like that is a lot of fun, though ) and large golden stone / hopper patterns down to size 18 dries for trouts up to 20".

Follow the link for specifics on the Ayu.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/product_in...products_id/50

When you say small streams in SE Idaho, places like Big Elk, Palisades, Rainey Creek, Warm River, Birch Creek, Little Lost River, and Big Lost River ( above Mackay Reservoir ) come to mind. Tough duty, for sure, but I know you are up to it.

John
    The fish are always right.

When people tell me they're on a budget, I generally recommend the Fountainhead Stone Fly rods. They're good value for the money. I don't know any of the streams you fish, but as an all-around length, I would suggest 12' (the Stone Fly 360). The Fountainhead Caddis Fly series is less money, but I think the Stone Fly is worth the extra bucks.
    Tenkara Bum

I have used an 11ft Tenkara USA Iwana on streams such as that you fish. If I had my choice I would use a 12ft Iwana. As John mentioned a 13ft would also serve you.

One other thing you can't go wrong using Chris' info. He has tested most of the rods available.

John,

Those are some great options with a few more still out there. I like Wild Horse in Copper Basin, Bear Creek, Robinson Creek, Fall River, and Canyon Creek is actually one of my favorites. I would really like to try Tenkara on some of these streams as it looks like a lot of fun. Thanks so much for the link I am getting ready to check it now. I am going to check out the Tenkara USA rods. Chris do you sell these rods on your site? If not where would I go to find them?

Brandon
    Last edited by moonlitflies; 04-09-2012 at 03:54 AM. Reason: saw additional posts after posting

Ok I found the Fountain Head website link on your site Chris, but the 12 foot Stonefly 360 says it is sold out. I do like the price tag in comparison to the Iwana and Ayu. Where as I am just starting not sure if I want to fork over that much just yet even though they do seem to be more durable, and I have heard the people at Tenkara USA are really good to work with and answer any and all questions. Since I don't really want to spend the higher price right now and the 12 foot Stonefly 360 is sold out should I drop to an 11 or go up to a 13, or maybe a differant rod. I did see the Caddis on the Fountain Head site and the price for it, but is there somenting else around the same price range as the Stone 360? What is the biggest differance between the Stone 360 and the Caddis other than ofcourse the price?

Brandon

To compare the Stone Fly and Caddis Fly 360 rods, there isn't much more I can say than what I put in my review of the Caddis Fly rods http://www.tenkarabum.com/caddis-fly-rods.html. There is another company http://www.tenkara-fishing.com/rods.html that offers rods that are very similar to the Stone Fly series - although their 12 footer is a 7:3 rather than a 6:4 and their prices are a bit higher but still below the Tenkara USA level.

Whether to drop down to an 11' rod or move up to a 13' rod depends largely on where you will fish. I don't know the streams you have mentioned. If they are smaller brushy streams, the 11. If more wide open, the 13. I suspect John Scott could provide some guidance here, as I know he frequently fishes with a 13' rod and it seems like he knows the streams you have mentioned.

I do sell rods on my site, but what I sell is not what you are looking for. I carry high end tenkara rods that sell for $345-415, and a separate line of rods designed to make fishing for small fish fun. They are in your price range ($57-82) but they are short (6'6" to 10'2") and are intended for fish that are just about on an inch to foot scale with the rods. The shortest rod is good for fish to about 6" and the longest is good for fish to about 10".
    Tenkara Bum

Quote Originally Posted by CM_Stewart View Post
    ...Whether to drop down to an 11' rod or move up to a 13' rod depends largely on where you will fish. I don't know the streams you have mentioned. If they are smaller brushy streams, the 11. If more wide open, the 13. I suspect John Scott could provide some guidance here, as I know he frequently fishes with a 13' rod and it seems like he knows the streams you have mentioned.....
    The 13' Ayu would be good on all the streams Brandon and I mentioned, except some short sections of Rainey Creek and parts of the upper reaches of the Little Lost River, and noting that I am not familiar with Canyon Creek.

John

P.S. Brandon - Don't overlook the North and East Forks of the Big Lost. Also, the Salt River tribs in Idaho - Tincup, Jack Knife, Stump, and Crow creeks - can be interesting, and would be good Tenkara country. Not to mention the Greys River.
    The fish are always right.

Suppose this is as good a spot as any to introduce my self. Hey Gang. Signed up a while back after Chris mentioned that there was some activity on the forum here about Tenkara but just never found a good spot to put my foot through to the other side of the door. The other thing that may be an option for you Brandon would be to see if we can get together and you could demo a few rods along with some on stream training. It's been a while since I have been over to your side of the state but I have been planning to this year. I have a few of the streams you and John mentioned on my list but would love to hear more about some of the others. Like Chris mentioned we do offer a 12' 7:3 rod as well as a 13' in the same action and I have a few shorter 6:4's that I think are great for most any fish that would be in any smaller creeks up to about 18-20"

Any way holler if I can help.

Cheers,

Paul
    Tenkara-Fishing

TK
    Where exactly is it that you live? With my job I get to travel anywhere from Jackson Hole all the way Over to Boise. I live amongst an abundance of small streams. One of my favorites is a lesser known and fished body of water that John didn't know about. Any time you come over I am always looking to learn from those who have the abundance of knowledge and willing to share. From how things look it should be a fantastic year of fishing.

Brandon

+ Reply to Thread