+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WHY DO WE FLY FISH? - Readers Cast (Eric Jezierski) - Apr 9, 2012

Blog Entries

Default WHY DO WE FLY FISH? - Readers Cast (Eric Jezierski) - Apr 9, 2012

WHY DO WE FLY FISH?

I can't speak for everybody, or maybe even anybody but myself, when I answer that question. I can tell you why I do it, and that is about all. I wish there was one good, cookie cutter answer to this question. Most of my co-workers don't fish much, if at all, and I often have difficulty enjoying their company because of their obvious character flaws. They sometimes ask me why I am so passionate about fishing; actually they say something closer to, "Shut up about the damn fish already, we get it, you like to fish!" or something along those lines.

Loved the article....well said, Eric...well said!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Fly Fishing is my "Fortress of Solitude" from all the hustle, bustle, and problems of life.

I fish to have time to contemplate something other than what I have to deal with when not at stream-side.

Good article, to read, and read again, until you come to understand that time and events in life are constantly changing... and we either have to adapt to what remains, and how to best use our time on the water, fishing for not just fish, but our hold on reality in our lives.

~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Eric,

Great article and I can relate to all that you said.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I really enjoyed the article and related in alot of ways. I love to fish because it gives me a chance to connect on a deaper level with something that isn't the worlds reality. Everyday life can be draining, but my excursions to the water help me rejuvenate and cope with those realities. Even time at my vice when I don't get to go out to the water gives me the chance to still connect. My grandpa has passed away and in a strange way I also feel that I can still connect with him after his passing.

Brandon

"At this point in my life, fishing sometimes feels like more like an obsession than a hobby. I drive my wife nuts by watching fishing shows, talking about fishing, reading articles on fishing, playing with my new fishing gear, and practicing knots in the living room."

Boy, does that sound familiar. Great article.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm glad you all enjoyed my ramblings.

+ Reply to Thread