+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snakehead

I caught one in Florida in December from a canal behind my cousin's house. It clobbered a foam popper. Great fight.

be patient, they will come..
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

As long as I am around, they will have at least one natural predator here in the U.S. I love these fish. They fight hard, they are always willing to bite, and are absolutely delicious. And I don't think they are going to be that bad on the ecosystems. In most cases, our attempts to eradicate invasive species has done more harm than letting nature handle it, as with the case of Nutrias, Walking Catfish, carp, cottontails, Fire Ants, etc.... I could see a panic if they were loose in a pristine trout stream with native trout, but I don't think they live in that environment. They don't seem to like current of any kind. Bass and bluegills are able to take care of themselves, even against snakeheads. They will just breed faster, and more often. I feel confident that the ecosystem will adjust to accommodate them.

I guess with me, it's just a matter of attitude. One person's sees a disaster, and another sees opportunity. You can't put the genie back in the bottle, so you might as well make use of it.

Now, my next question: When are those Bighead carp gonna make it down to my neck of the woods? I am dying to take a crack at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    http://nationalzoo.si.edu/publicatio.../snakehead.cfm great article on all the hype surround these fish. To cook them, try a chowder (the fish is very mild and some say sort of like chicken) but they are good fixed several ways. One way that's really good is to cut into smaller pieces and deep fry after coating with and egg wash and cornmeal/flour mix.

And I agree in that they have many predators here in the US, especially when they are young but even adults get snatched by eagles and ospreys. Just more of the hype mentioned above.

Just like any other fish. They are fantastic fried. As good as catfish, or maybe a little better (if that is possible). They are very mild-tasting.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    How to you cook them?

VERY interesting menu option ( hopefully called by another name). As UGLY as this fish appears, I'm leaning toward "a taste" . I would however agree that IT IS an invasive species and should be of "concern" even if it is not a threat to "your" trout stream. The world is bigger than that.

Mark

I guess I am confused. I specifically said that it might be of more concern were they to invade a trout stream, but that I don't believe they inhabit that type of water. I have never made any claims of personal possession of any body of water, trout or otherwise...not even the one behind my house.

I never said it was not of concern. I said that DNR attempts to eradicate invasive species usually do more harm to the native populations and ecosystems, than giving nature a chance to find a balance on its own. It's just an opinion, based on experience....nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    VERY interesting menu option ( hopefully called by another name). As UGLY as this fish appears, I'm leaning toward "a taste" . I would however agree that IT IS an invasive species and should be of "concern" even if it is not a threat to "your" trout stream. The world is bigger than that.

Mark
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 04-12-2012 at 03:04 AM.

I just heard that a big one was caught in a net at where the Potomac empties into the Chesapeake Bay. Apparently salt water doen't deter them.

I found a government document filled with a ton of information about snakeheads. http://fl.biology.usgs.gov/circ_1251_courtenay.pdf

I found it interesting that Wald Disney was posting information about the Snakehead in 1959 and the federal research saw fit to include it in his report.
    Snakehead clip.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

In VA, its always been catch and kill, you can be fined for releasing the fish. Athough MD is now offering a reward, the fish has not quite taken over the Potomac, yet.

Paul

+ Reply to Thread