+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snakehead

Hybrid View

Question Snakehead

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever caught a snakehead? I have read about them and how they are destroying some water ways. I have just never heard about them down in SC where I live. Is there a place that you can go to see if they have been caught in your area? Also if anyone has a pic of one they have caught I would be really interested in see it.

Thanks in Advance
    Jason
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

Blog Entries

So far they have not crossed the great divide. Thank goodness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakehead

http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/s...d/overview.php

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Last edited by sagefisher; 04-06-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Threeday,

go to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders web site. there are many pictures and fishing reports. they are ferocious, voracious, delicious, and the eagles love them here on the Potomac. the rest of the fishing is still just fine--they seem to have found a niche. very hard to catch, but legal to keep any size, any time.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Default Snakehead photo & facts

Do You Know the Difference?

Northern Snakehead

Similar-Appearing Native Species

Know the Facts

Snakehead Fish

• As a family, snakeheads are native to parts of Asia and Africa. The northern snakehead is native to China, and possibly Korea and Russia.
    • Typically found in a wide variety of habitats
    • Northern snakeheads grow to a maximum length of about 33 inches
    • Generally tan in appearance, with dark brown mottling; body somewhat elongated; long dorsal fin; jaws contain numerous canine-like teeth (similar to pike or pickerel)
    • Capable of breathing air using an air bladder that works as a primitive lung (not found in most fish)
    • Able to hibernate in cracks and crevices during cold temperatures and to go dormant in the mud during droughts
    • Voracious top-level predator, eating mostly fish, but also eats other aquatic wildlife and frogs
    • Capable of moving short distances on land using its pectoral fins; can live out of water for as many as three days
    • Favored as a food fish throughout southeast Asia; also believed to have curative powers. Also sold in the aquarium trade.
    • Four species have been found in the U.S., in eight states, probably the result of releases from personal aquariums or to develop local food sources
    • No natural predators in the U.S.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I catch them all,the time in Rome, Ga. They are great fighters, and great on the table. They hit any minnow patterns, but especially Clousers.

th_snakehead.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality. I had a real cheap digital camera then, and didn't know how to use it well.
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 04-11-2012 at 02:53 AM.

"No natural Predators" ???

Largemouth Bass are eating all the little ones, up to 10 or 12 inches, they can catch....

Saw a picture on the web the other day where an angler found three of them, all over 6 inches, in the stomach of a bass he'd caught in Florida...

I expect that flatheads will eat them too....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

If you go to the front page of Yahoo, you will find a story about a $200 bounty on them in one location.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread