+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Custom Tube for new rod

Hybrid View

Default Custom Tube for new rod

I'm getting close to being done with my new Steelhead rod so I figured I need to make a custom tube to match the rod so I just finished up this tube. It's made with 2" sch40 PVC, has a half rounded end cap cemented to one end and a threaded collar on the other. Sanded it down with some 300 grit paper then hit it with 3 coats of fusion. Made some decals on my Alps printer and then clear two coats of clear over the whole tube. Also made a retainer for the screw in cap so it doesn't get lost.

Steve

Nice work thanks for sharing.
    Wes.

Nice job. What did you use for the clear coat over the fusion paint? My experience with the fusion paint is that it has a tendency to peel off. Maybe the clear coat will fix that.

Dave

Dave I use Krylon clear. When paint peels it is normally due most times to not having the surface prepped properly so that the paint has something to hold too. I've painted a number of rod blanks and PVC tubes in the past with fusion and never had a problem with it staying put. Just make sure you sand or scotchbrite whatever your painting with the fusion next time and you shouldn't have any issues. Mainly you just want to knock the shine off of the item you are painting. Once you do that then wipe it down with denatured alcohol and it'll be ready to paint. Also it's a good idea to let it sit for a week before using, even though it is dry paint still needs to cure before being subjected to use.

Steve

Great idea on the screw top. I always just left one end uncemented and used a butt cap. Thats a great.

Blog Entries

I, too, have painted several blanks with Fusion. As long as you follow the directions on the can to the letter, you will be fine.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread