+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Point Up or Down

Hybrid View

Default Point Up or Down

I was just watching the video of a guy tying a 56er, using a number 10 4 x streamer hook with a down eye. He put on 10 - 12 wraps of lead wire on the hook shank, then added a duck feather tail, yarn body and hackle. He explained it was to imitate a immature crawfish. My question is will the hook point ride down or up. If that is not enough weight for pull the shank down and the point up. How much is needed.

My second question is "Why does no one put a snag guard on a trout fly? A couple of strand of 8 - 10 mono should do the job.

I wait the wisdom of the membership.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

If the weight is wrapped around the hook, how will it make it ride hook up? I mean I know dumbbells do, but that is all the weight on one side of the hook.

Maybe no weed guards on Trout flies because the size of their mouths. They just inhale the fly. Bass however can inhale a volkswagon...LOL

Great subject Jess

Mayor weight sinks first. If the shank (in this case with lead) is heavier than the entire curve, the shank goes first to the bottom, turning the hook up. A hook without weight sinks with the curve below for that reason. Something very interesting here (I had thousands of discussions about it), when you add lead wraps -for ex.- tying nymphs, many times the fly will be riding on the bottom point up. So if you tie a beautiful nymph with a clear belly, dark back (as usual), will be not working as a natural. We are very lucky with this things, cause fish are mostly starving and they don't care. And are "political" discussions.

really. I have got to try that in a glas cause the flies I have seen with weight wrapped around them still float hook down, then just dive eye first or if the weight is back the the bend, butt first, but never noticed them riding hook up. I got to try this.

Without experimenting...it would seem the lead, being more dense, would cause the fly to SINK shank first...hook up. But once the fly is no longer sinking (trolling, or sitting on the bottom), then the weight of the hook point would cause the fly to roll over and be hook down. Maybe?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

It's really a simple matter of physics, but I sold my text book in 1966. We wrapped lead around the shank which is more dense than water and cover it with dubbing, etc., which is less dense than water and will offset the lead to some extent. I may tye some 56er's and add some black bead chain eyes above the bend of the hook and a little more lead wire on the shank.

I remember Leroy Hyatt saying that Charles Brooks designed some of his flies, specifically a stone fly nymph, in the round to give the impression it was right side up as it tumbled down the stream
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread