+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bass on a streamer for the first time!

Wink Bass on a streamer for the first time!

Evening, folks! Just wanted to share the warm-water love here from Nebraska. Went out this past Tuesday morning and caught my first bass on a streamer.

Also, had more success on a dropper rig (#6 Olive Woolly Bugger under a deer-hair mouse.)

Here's my blog with pictures

I look forward to participating in the forums.

http://sparetimefish.blogspot.com/

Congratulations on your first streamer bass!

With your mouse/bugger dropper rig, do the bass ever hit the mouse, or does that typically serve as your indicator?

Quote Originally Posted by waskeyc View Post
    Congratulations on your first streamer bass!

With your mouse/bugger dropper rig, do the bass ever hit the mouse, or does that typically serve as your indicator?
    I use the mouse because I'm dying to see a bass come up and smack it, but yes, it is usually an indicator. Tuesday, though, I had a green sunfish big enough to get its mouth around it come up and smack it. I was sad I didn't get to see that one.

This is in response to adlife & waskeyc's comments on whether a bass will hit an indicator. Some years back I was fishing a pond with a hookless indicator and had a large bass knock it completely out of the water. Somewhat shocked I cast to the same spot and the bass gave a repeat performance. It never did hit my fly, a streamer. From that day on when ever I fish water that contains bass or other agressive fish my inicator has a hook in it. This has resulted in catching several nice fish on my "indicator".

Tim

NewTyer 1 Guest

I have never fished for Bass any other way but, top water. I live for the thrill of seeing them jump and swallow the fly. I will use something that resembles a baitfish and try to make it look wounded and occasionally bring it just below the surface. This technic will get you through Spring and a good part of the Summer but when it gets to hot, you will need to go deeper

When you fish with another fly under either another fly or indicator, doesn't the the sinking fly just dangle straight up under the indicator? It seems it would not look too natural hangin that way. Here in Florida, I use poppers until the sun gets up, then I switch to a sinking fly.

Quote Originally Posted by RHenn View Post
    When you fish with another fly under either another fly or indicator, doesn't the the sinking fly just dangle straight up under the indicator? It seems it would not look too natural hangin that way. Here in Florida, I use poppers until the sun gets up, then I switch to a sinking fly.
    The slower you retrieve the closer the fly becomes to being right under the indicator. This can be a positive if you are fishing for crappie or gills close to cover. You can hold your fly quite close to the brush and twitch now and then until the fish takes the fly or Mr Bass comes along and hits your indicator or fly. I have caught quite a few crappie this way.

For an indicator I now use home made poppers, some quite large and have had bass hit poppers with a diameter of 3/4 of an inch.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by RHenn View Post
    In my opinion, the Duncan Loop knot is the kicker. Tie a Duncan on the dropper, and the twitches you give that line as you strip in make it look very life-like. And even if it aint life-like, it's dead-like, because my experience has been that they bite it to death.

Duncan Loop Instructions

+ Reply to Thread