+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pirouge

I watched Swamp People last night on tv and there were 3 guys in one of these and one nasty gator that looked to be the size of the boat........looked like a great boat...........glad there are no gators on the Miramichi.......would love to see pics of your build.

Dwight

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fish4trout View Post
    I remember reading that before.
    Very fitting time wise Roger has just recently checked back in to the board... a fine gentlemen and contributor to FAOL...

I look forward to following your build....
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 04-13-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan View Post
    Very fitting time wise Roger has just recently checked back in to the board... a fine gentlemen and contributor to FAOL...I look forward to following your build....
    If you watched the extended trailer to the program you will notice Roger was not fishing from a pirogue but a nice wooden boat with an outboard and trolling motor. I'm headed down that way next week to see the family, might have tuck a rod and a few flies in the pickup.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

My experience with pirogues is similar to Roger's. When I lived in Louisiana, I got a sweet little cedar pirogue. We used it on our duck lease. I would paddle my teen aged son and myself out to the blind and back. The Lab was not allowed near it for obvious reasons. I would paddle very slowly and carefully and we both hoped no one coughed. The idea of fishing around in the dark for sunken shotguns was not appealing. Then one day it happened. I had let my son in the blind, the dog was in with him and I was just sitting in the pirogue thinking "this ain't so bad after all". No wind, no waves, no current, no nothing. I swear I didn't move a muscle, but one minute I'm sitting there and the next I'm in 4 1/2 feet of water and my kid is laughing his butt off. Someone later stole the pirogue as we chained it to a tree in the brush; I hope it got them, too, only out in the deeper canal. Bottom line--if you intend to stand and cast there are some requirements--a life jacket and a buddy with a video camera.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    ... That takes more balance than I possess...
    Bob it isn't balance but the Laws of Physics! Ya' can't be tall and wide and be stable in a small canoe or pirogue...

That's why Big Dale gave his little Sawyer Tripper canoe to my then 12 year old son, Ian. As I remember, this little canoe is rated for about 150/160 lb.s, while Big Dale, and his friends that he tried to sell it to, were all tall (6ft.+) and very large (300+). That much mass and their high centers of gravity quickly resulted in all of these big guys quickly rolling that little canoe. Big Dale said, "That canoe's dangerous!". But with his skinny, little frame, Ian used to walk up and down in that little boat while fighting reds on his 6 wt. fly rod! HA!

Kyle

+ Reply to Thread