+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tying Walt's Worm a step-by-step

The Patons Classic Wool Natural Mix (00229 ) that I mail ordered did not seam to have any red flicks in it.
    Is that the way it is now? Fishin' Jimmy

I took my 40% off Coupon from the sunday paper and scored a skein of Patons Natural Mix at Michael's Craft for $3.00. The stuff turns into great dubbing and I've got a dozen Walt's Worms ready to go. I've also got about 10 lifetimes worth of yarn left, so if anyone else wants to give this pattern a whirl, I'd be happy to share the wealth if you'll just send me a self addressed stamped envelope. PM me if interested.
    Support The Troops; Sign Up at AdoptaPlatoon.org

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin' Jimmy View Post
    The Patons Classic Wool Natural Mix (00229 ) that I mail ordered did not seam to have any red flicks in it.
    Is that the way it is now? Fishin' Jimmy
    What I bought didn't have any red in it either, but I suppose you could mix in any other colors you wanted. A Kornucopia of colors.

I got some from JoAnn's ...it was on sale and they honored a discount coupon also....maybe the sale is still on.

Mine also does not have any red fibers ...I wonder if yours does, Doug?

I have made several mixtures...using UV Ice dub with the Patons.

Also picked up a green colored skein called moss...it looks good.

Wanting to see how they looked in water I dropped them in a glass of water and was very impressed with how gas bubbles formed on them when first in the water.

Folks here is an interesting blog article for a comparison - Chadwicks 477 vs several alternatives....

see it here: http://flyandfin.blogspot.com/2012/02/alternitives-for-chadwick-477.html

After seeing this you will know why I use Patons #00229.....

What do you think?

PS. I don't see any red in my yarn.....
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

I don't have the Paton's yarn, but I did just recently buy an alternative that I found on eBay that's from Scotland. It's not exact either, but it's pretty close being a 60% wool, 40% nylon sock darning yarn. I did a side by side test in and out of water on both of the yarns and have to write that I didn't really see any kind of stand out difference. You can plainly see that the Chadwick's has a rose color tone on the card and tied on a hook while dry. The Chadwick's nymph is below, and the chubbier one is the alternative above. It looks just the same when wet. There wasn't a transitional glowing of pink or red hue on the Chadwick's when it became wet to me. I roughed both nymphs up a bit so they are a little more shaggy too. I tied these on Syl Nemes chrome finished soft hackle hooks and used a white background. When you factor in water color, hook color, water depth, what color copper is under the yarn etc., it's all going to effect the end result. The Chadwick's does have finer individual fibers than the alternative that I bought. I think the red or pink hue thing is just way over rated.

Regards,
    Mark

Mark
    Could you share the name, color, size and dye lot of that scottish yarn you bought on Ebay.

Fishin' Jimmy
    Last edited by Fishin' Jimmy; 04-19-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin' Jimmy View Post
    Mark
    Could you share the name, color, size and dye lot of that scottish yarn you bought on Ebay.

Fishin' Jimmy
    Here's the eBay UK link that I still have for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Regards,
    Mark

Bump ! this is a great pattern do not over look it because it is simple!

Fishin' Jimmy

What is the consensus of the importance of the wire weighting of this pattern?

+ Reply to Thread