+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Passing of a FAOL Member

Hybrid View

Default Passing of a FAOL Member

Hi FAOLers,

Sorry to be the messenger of bad news. After a long fight with cancer, Charlie Place passed away. He was among the original FAOLers way back when.

Charlie was a really fun guy. His unusual sense of humor and self depreciation made him a good companion and fellow fly flinger. I haven't been to a few recent 'spring flings' and know that I am missing times that cannot be recaptured as is evidenced by Charlie's passing. As I sit here reading about Charlie, I'm reminded and saddened recalling the others we've known who no longer cast their flies into the waters we used to share.
    Take care Charlie. May you find the serenity of a 'secret place' with soft flowing water, an occassional deer crossing the creek, some birds working the shallows, an occassional hatch with a following spinner fall and some challenging trout.

Charlie at the 2004 Roscoe Fish In

Allan

I met Charlie at th DRC fish in 2002 he did a show on fly fishing for Pike in the NWT. That frienship led to other friends many rivers many shows and oh so many wonderfull memories. Charlie will be forever missed and never forgoten as painfull as it is right now. I am blessed to have have shared time with him.
    Monty

Sad news. I assume this is the same Charlie Place that wrote the column in On The Water magazine? I enjoyed the column very much back when I was subscribed to the New England edition.

Charlie was indeed the same Charlie Place that wrote the "On the Fly" column for On the Water magazine as well as a beloved past president of our club The Connecticut Fly Fisherman's Association.
    Those that would like to revisit his writing can find 3 of his columns in the Al Campbell archives here on FAOL
    6/21, 6/28, 7/5, 2004

Last edited by dudley; 04-02-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Husband, Father, Grandfather, Friend, Teacher, Mentor, the list is endless. I'll miss you saying "It's only a fishing club" Tight lines Charlie.

+ Reply to Thread