+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: rite bobbin - a review

Default rite bobbin - a review

rite bobbin --- a review

Being a commercial fly tier, time is money! Using poorly made and ineffective tools can be frustrating and very time consuming...

The other day I was having a lot of trouble with a couple of my "new and cheap" bobbins. One had a nick or burr somewhere in the tube and the thread would break repeatedly no matter how slight the tension and I couldn't find or fix the problem... Finally I gave up and switched to the other "new" bobbin and that wasn't any better. No matter how I tried I couldn't get the thread tension adjusted to my liking and one of the legs had a bad twist in it such that the hub would not set flush to the spool. Yeah, I got them cheap but in the end I paid the price, junk! I was so mad that I just through them in the trash. I should have known better.

I've had my share of bobbins over the years and I've had quality and thread tension problems with most of them. It was time for a change. With fly tying tools, like most tools, you get what you pay for and I never paid more than $10 or so for a bobbin.
    Half Hitch Mag

It was time to try the rite bobbin. A little pricey I thought --- but again, you get what you pay for, right? So, I decided to buy two of the "Half Hitch Mag" rite bobbins and I'm so glad I did. Bottom line, these bobbins are great! They are easy to use and the precise thread control is like butter, not to mention the half hitch function. I've had them in constant use for over a week and have not had a single problem or thread tension control issue... I think I'll get a couple of the ceramic tube rite bobbins next...

These bobbins are a JOY to use.

Half Hitch feature? See the demo video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f8uJssaV0k

Note: I have no affiliation with the Merco Co. or rite bobbins, I'm just a guy trying to tie a quality fly; neatly, simply and quickly.... Doug.

Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Doug,

I agree with you, the Merco Rite Bobbins are great. I have been using them for many years now, from the shorty to the half hitch mag, all great. The ceramic ones are just as good.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I really like the rite bobbins, now have 5 of them. Nothing I've tried so far has given as finite thread tension control and I also find them easier to thread, just insert the thread into the bottom of the tube and suck the thread through. No need for bobbin threaders and more. I also like the way they fit in your hand.

Wayneb

I can't tolerate not having metal on both sides of the thread spool. You and Richard can keep those goofy contraptions, and I'll stick to my ceramic-lined Griffins.

AlanB Guest

The Rite bobbins are good, I used them for a few years (also tying commercially). Then I discovered what they don't do. I now use a lot of split thread techniques for dubbing and CdC. What you can't do with a Rite bobbin is spin it. Well you can spin it, but they are so unbalanced they don't spin well. In the end I changed back to TMC and Griffin ceramic bobbins. If you don't use these techniques then they are great. They do what it says on the tin. The new whip finish bobbin looks good, though I would prefer it to be ceramic lined, and available in the smaller sizes.

Marc Petitjean's new bobbin holder looks good. It has a tensioning system and a lot of other features. However, it is twice the price of the Rite bobbins. Having 4 bobbins that only get the spool changed when empty and several others for threads I don't use as often it would take an investment of several hundred pounds to change. Thats a lot of flies to sell! Marc is a friend and has offered me one to try. I'm afraid to try it. I might like it!

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

You guys gotta try the Joice bobbin. Awesome

AlanB Guest

Give us details Byron, Just Googled "Joice bobbin", and got nothing, (well I got lots but nothing relevant).
    Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Sorry, it's the auto-spell again
    Look at it on jvice.com

AlanB Guest

Yes I've seen that one elsewhere. Can't seem to find it on the J Vice site though. Its in the price list $30 is still a lot for a bobbin. How well does it spin? That is the important question for me.
    Cheers,
    A.

Edit: Found it now. Its under the "News" section.
    A.
    Last edited by AlanB; 04-02-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Blog Entries

Alan,
    At his site, look under "news"
    I love it. Very ergonomic

+ Reply to Thread