Thread: Poems About Loss of Dogs

Threaded View

Her name was Holly and I was allowed to be owned by her at a time in my life when I sorely needed a friend. I worked for a bird dog trainer at the time and she was a prospect and he had great hopes of her being his next champion. She was the daughter of two shooting dog champs and I could only dream of owning a dog like her someday. I was always finding a reason to swing by her kennel just to freshen her water or spend a few minutes stroking her silky ears and gazing in her eyes. We connected and I actually experienced something akin to love sickness when I left her for the day.

One day Jim the owner asked to speak to me before I left for the day and when we sat down he told me that he wanted me to have something to thank me for my dedication to the kennel and the training program. We walked out to the kennels and he he told me to leash up Holly and take her home. I was scared he was playing a joke on me but he said that there will always be one person that can get the best out of a dog and he had been watching how we had bonded and he knew that I was the perfect owner for Holly.

Holly and I spent the next several years working together hunting and the day our union ended nearly killed me. I still compare every dog to her unfairly because she will always be my number one. Hold them till I get there girl...I'm coming.
    Last edited by Hookedintheear; 03-31-2012 at 10:09 PM.