Thread: Dry Supply

Threaded View

The imported necks usually only tie larger sizes and many times you'll have to use two hackles to get the same density. A large portion of the neck will be to large for a trout fly and will go into tailing or popper, bass bug hackles. That being said, I use them for Humpies, Wulff's, Variants and my Parachutes. I am selective when I purchase an imported neck- check stiffness, and hackle sizes. I take a hackle guage into a flyshop with me! Good Imported necks offer the opportunity for a diversity of necks at a less expensive price realizing there are limitations with them. I have several good genetic necks, 100 packs, etc but use them only when I feel a lower quality neck will not suffice.

A lot of us started out tying in the 60's by buying neck loose neck hackles by the ounce from Herter's and we caught fish, even though the flies were larger.

Look into using capes, I like Keogh's, rather than saddles. I've gone into tying comparaduns also. Also, if you are tying two different hackles, ex. griz and brown on Adams, Use a high quality one and a "lower" quality to get the coloration.

Randall Sale
    the Kytroutbum
    Last edited by Kytroutbum; 03-31-2012 at 12:57 PM.