+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The price of a nice Winter

Hybrid View

Default The price of a nice Winter

I just heard on the radio that the state entomologist said due to the mild winter and early spring there are a record number of ticks everywhere you would expect to find ticks.

I don't like snakes, but ticks scare me. Get out your bug spray flea collars around the cuffs or boot tops and link them around your waist if you are going out in the southern woods. If you are hypoallergic disregard the previous advice.

I hate ticks.
    Ticks!3.gif
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Uncle Jesse,

I am with you about not liking ticks, but, they really like me! Maybe we need to come up with a fly to represent a tick! : )
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I just came back from a trip to RI and was walking the shoreline. I looked down and found atleast ten deer ticks on my pants. I hate them too.

Years ago I spent a lot of time working in the Muscle Shoals, AL area with Reynolds Metals my largest client. The maintenance superintendent for one of their plants told me he had been bitten by a copperhead and had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. He said if he had to do either again he would chose the snake bite. He said several time while fighting the fever he thought he would die.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thanks Uncle Jesse. I don't go turkey hunting anymore but my brother does. We had a record mild Winter this year and a record wet Spring. I was at least able to warn him to be on guard.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Remember a spring after a mild winter several years ago and an experiment my son and I tried -YUCK! We both had on athletic shoes with those long white shoestrings. I told my son we'd walk side by side from the gravel driveway down to the barn and back (a distance of about 50 yards total) and see if we collected any ticks and how many. We walked at a brisk pace and hate to think of what would have transpired if we didn't. My son had 28 mostly just on his shoelaces and I had 33 - AGGHHHHH!!! Also had a tick embedded once on my left side at the waist for at least a day (small deer tick) and it made a sore that lasted forever. Every now and then it would raise up a little and itch like crazy for a while. I think it lasted at least six months or more before it finally went away. I HATE TICKS TOO!!!!

+ Reply to Thread